Wideangle options for P6000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmakay

Contributor
Reaction score
I know Ikelite has done a lot of testing with various wideangle options for the G10. Has the same been done with the P6000?

My beloved dinosaur CP5000 works so well with it's dry mate 19mm WA ... true wideangle plus great macro without changing anything. I really want to find something that has the same advantages. The G10 looks "close" but I was really hoping the P6000 might be the CP5000 reincarnated with modern brains! :D

We may end up offering an accessory similar to the new WD-4 that would fit the P6000 housing. However we have no current plans to offer any sort of internal wide angle lens option.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Jean,

mmakay has created a setup I'd be interested in. You can see it at P6000 mods. Some samples of his work with the setup can be found at Curacao '09.

He has told me he'd
be willing to share the design with Ikelite if I can spark some interest with them to manufacture it for production.

I'm interested in the Ikelite housing for my P6000 but without a wide angle lens I'm hesitant to purchase it. I'd seriously consider purchasing it if I knew I could get pictures like mmakay has produced with his P6000.

The WC-E58 is not officially supported by Nikon for use with that camera, and I'm not even sure that it's available for purchase anymore.

Apparently there was some confusion internally about the W20 lens and this camera. Sometime in the next 24 hours I'm going to post some sample photos taken with the combination and I think some people may find the results to be acceptable.....

There will be an option similar to the WD-4 available sometime in the next month or so.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

The WC-E58 is not officially supported by Nikon for use with that camera, and I'm not even sure that it's available for purchase anymore.

Apparently there was some confusion internally about the W20 lens and this camera. Sometime in the next 24 hours I'm going to post some sample photos taken with the combination and I think some people may find the results to be acceptable.....

There will be an option similar to the WD-4 available sometime in the next month or so.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Jean,

Thank you, I look forward to seeing your images.

Additionally, assuming you meant the WC-E68, it is designed for the P5000. If you were to adapt mmakay's design it would have to be with the WC-E76 converter as this is the proper converter for the P6000.

Regardless, I am just trying to decide if I hold off on photography for a few years and save up for a D300 housing or do I get something for my P6000 and start with this year.

Ideally, I get something for my P6000 this year, buy strobes I can use on a D300 setup and get a housing for the D300 down the road. Any solution that doesn't cost me thousands of dollars is viable for the immediate future.

Second choice is skip photography for now and start saving for the D300 housing.

The reason I'm leaning towards a P6000 or D300 solution is because I already own these cameras. Ultimately, because of the collection of lens I will use my D300 but I just cannot afford that right now.

I'm amending our position on this set-up to:

The W20 lens attaches directly to the front of the housing's lens port and provides increased angle of coverage. Zooming the camera three stops is recommended to eliminate vignetting when the lens is attached. See sample photos.

As it stands right now there are no intentions of offering an accessory dome port to accommodate an internal wide angle lens. I will post more info on the wide angle conversion dome when I have it..............

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
p6000_fullwide.jpg

p6000_w20_2x.jpg

p6000_w20_3x.jpg

p6000_w20_fullwide.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom