Truk Odyssey: Availability for March 1st, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just today booked spots on the March 1 and March 8th trips. Got the last spot on the March 8th trip, but apparently there are still a few spots available on the March 1st trip.

Not sure if they had a group cancel or something...

Also, if you can travel on Continental (which ultimately you'll have to if coming from the US) there are some insane OnePass frequent flyer deals right now. I booked a round-trip First Class ticket (Newark-Tokyo-Guam-Truk on the way out, and Truk-Guam-Honolulu-Newark on return) for only 60k miles each way. Even better, if you can deal with flying coach it's only 30k miles each way. That's a free $2,200 coach ticket for as many miles as it sometimes takes for a $400 NY-MIAMI flight!

So...who else is coming?

:D

TrukOdyssey-TrukLiveaboard1.jpg

Feel free to PM me for more info. I booked through my LDS which is a full-service dive travel agency, and they have all the details.

Insane?? 60k is the std amount for base miles. That said they can be a PITA to find but CO Micronesia seems to have lots of capacity. But you have to get yourself IAH or Newark which is often the problem.

BTW did you get a last minute deal ??

Insane?? 60k is the std amount for base miles.

Perhaps I'm "spoiled" with Newark as my home airport. As it's CO's major hub, OnePass rewards on "base miles" is almost never available on ANYTHING out of Newark. My coach tickets on a 4hr flight to Bonaire last year were 70k roundtrip. With that as a metric I think 60k roundtrip EWR-TKK in coach is pretty good.

First Class rewards are even WORSE here. Hell, I'm a Gold Elite OnePass member and I rarely if ever get upgraded out of Newark!

Hmm I went to Truk in late July/early August of 2008. Never got my onepass points rewarded (never set it up). I suppose I will call Continental tomorrow...any idea if I can have those retroactively set up?

RJP if you've never been, shoot me a PM if you want to know anything. My fiancee (girlfriend for part of the trip...I proposed on the back deck of the Odyssey :wink:) and I went with a group of 11 others.

SB, you are screwed as the airlines will only go 6 months back for adding points. BUmmer cause that was a lot of points.

SB, you are screwed as the airlines will only go 6 months back for adding points. BUmmer cause that was a lot of points.

I will call anyway and see what they say...maybe they'll be really nice. Think there's any possibility of this at all?

I will call anyway and see what they say...maybe they'll be really nice. Think there's any possibility of this at all?

If you still have your boarding passes you'll be fine. I think CO's policy is 12mo. Either way, tell them "I signed up at the airport and they told me I was all set up. Should I have gotten a card or something in the mail?"

Thanks for offer of info on Odyssey. Been on liveaboards before, and have several friends who have done the Odyssey, so have some info. However, perspective from someone else would be good...

Anything specific that you wish you had brought or done, looking back on the trip? I'll be tec diving while I'm there, and have no idea what the other folks on the boat will be doing. Hell, for all I know the rest of the passengers could be German tourists doing OW referrals!

RJP, if you have an extra day have Blue Lagoon take you out to "shark island". It is a small island that has a cleaning station that is like a car wash. Sharks line up, come in, get cleaned, and go one. Really cool. Much better than the shark feeding done on the Odyssey - actually if I went on the Oddysey I would asked them to skip the dive and see something else.

RJP, if you have an extra day have Blue Lagoon take you out to "shark island". It is a small island that has a cleaning station that is like a car wash. Sharks line up, come in, get cleaned, and go one. Really cool. Much better than the shark feeding done on the Odyssey - actually if I went on the Oddysey I would asked them to skip the dive and see something else.

I'll actually have Sat and Sun at The Blue Lagoon before the March 1 week on Odyssey and then the Sunday between the March 1 and March 8 week. Will look into "Shark Island."

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom