My Apologies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Yesterday I started a thread that seemed to offend several people, and for that I am sorry. Obviously my writing skills are poor, because the intent of my post was not to judge or insult anyone, yet it seems I did. For myself, it is sometimes difficult to transfer the tone of my thoughts into the written word and I guess I failed. For now on I will be more careful.
The idea of my post was intended to ask if there was a correlation between self control and diving skills - NOT an issue of weight. I used weight (as well as drinking and smoking) as examples, and took one side strongly simply to promote thought, not to offend anyone. No one responded about the smoking or drinking - just the weight issue, which is my fault because I overstated it in the example.
My intent was simply a hypothetical example to promote ideas and I never ment to attack anyone personally. Yet people felt personally attacked and then personally attacked me:

"Because...personally...a guy pushing 50 who can barely read his gauges (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthrea...&threadid=27132) and who has been out of the water long enough to need a refresher with the fat lady ain't my first choice of buddy."

(By the way, I never called the lady "fat", yet several other posts did.)

"I think she shouldn't buddy with you"

"Fat people have no self control, according to Rick Inman, so they should not participate in scuba diving.
This is the lamest thing I have ever heard on this board.
There, you have been flamed."

(I never said this and I don't think it. I even said that obesity can be a medical issue, not a self control issue)

"I was trying to think of a way to say exactly that without completely bashing ol Rick.
I couldn't."

"Man...talk about not making friends...whew...you might want to consider creating another account and not use this one anymore."

(I'm thinking about it now!)

"For examply, if I were to "judge" someone as a diver by how they post, I might be excluding YOU as a possible dive buddy"

I did not address anyone personally and ment no offense, and I am sorry if I did offend. I really don't know where I stand on the self control issue (again, not WEIGHT) and thought that bouncing it off you guys would help. It was intended for my own appraisal of my self and looking at where I should change, but I guess I blew that. I am personally on a diet and excercise plan right now (I'm 18 pounds over) and so maybe that is what provoked the thought. I want to be the best diver I can and thought that some discussion might give me food for thought, but instead I offended, and for that I am sorry. I was using hypothetical exapmles (my wife doesn't even dive) which was why I was asking questions, not making factual statements. For a while, I think I will stick to just reading posts...

Rick

I wouldnt change your account name over it. We all sometimes put our foot in our mouth, so to speak. At least you realized it and apologized. Hows that old saying go.... "the first step in resolving a problem is realizing you have one" Anyway, dont worry too much about it. Just my 2 cents..

That's people for you. I don't know if you worded the original post as well as you could have but I think the question is relevant.

It' popular to beat up smokers because most don't smoke now days. But there are lots of overweight people, in fact they may be the majority. so you don't dare. If you do it's compared to racism or refered to as prejudice.

It's popular to go after drunk drivers even at blood alc limits that you would get from just smelling the stuff. It however is not popular to go after drivers who are bad just because they are stupid and clumsy, unless they have had a drink.

I think too many just want to go after som one else. I think it's ok to question some ones fittness as a dive buddy for any reasons that concerns you including but not limited to weight, habits, attitude, skill, experience and maybe just because they lack that weathered look in the eye that says they have delt with trouble and can do it again.

Before you give an apology ask the complainers for their height and weight and go see what they had to say in the smoking thread.

.. I wasn't offended by your post. I just don't think a person's physical appearance is the best, or most accurate way to judge their diving abilty.

I'm about where I'm supposed to be weight wise.( I knew that would come up eventually)
I try to work out regularly (although that doesn't always happen). I try to run 3 miles a day every weekday (although it usually averages out to about 3 to 4 times a week.

I agree physical condition is an important factor in choosing a dive buddy. I'm just saying that extra weight on a person isn't the best way to tell if they can swim against a current or not, or if they are at a high risk for a heart attack or not. I like the idea better of watching them lug tanks and gear over a distance to see if they get winded...and besides it also depends on the dive. Cozumel drift diving is less strenuous than walking to the fridge for a beer, IMO.

You need to evaluate all the factors, not just one.

Agree. Appearence means nothing (no offence intended to good looking people ):D

There are times when even carefully chosen words can offend. The written word is subject to interpretation by the reader. At times it takes a skillful writer to convey emotion and invoke positive thought. We all have our temperamental sides and can be offended by a series of other wise harmless words. I am a heavily opinionated person and hyper critical. Knowing this about myself, helps me to keep my tongue still at times when letting it loose would surly be confrontational. This being said I have still managed to t-off some of the board members from time to time. As long as we are not malicious in our intent, we should be free to express ourselves on this board, with out fear of some cheep repercussions from others. Lets share information, invoke thought and write to express not impress.........

No problem Rick. As I indicated in my reply, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and figured your intent was not to offend. Sometimes it's difficult to convey ones true intention in black and white (or blue,yellow, green)...you get my color monitor drift.
All of us can misconstrue what the intent of a post might or might not have been. It's the constraint of any writer.

Although I give you kudos for following up with your intent.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

It' popular to beat up smokers because most don't smoke now days.

I don't mind the criticism from those that have never smoked. I do however think the ex-smokers criticizing smokers is hypocritical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom