Dive Report - Fort Sewell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lursxt

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well the weather this past weekend was really nice. So nice, that I couldn't pass up not diving. I joined the Froggies who were headed out to Fort Sewell. I hadn't yet dove this site, so I was really looking forward to it. Dan H. told me the site is good for scalloping, lobsters and artifact collecting.

I arrived at 11am to find the site looking like this:

0208091338.jpg

Actually, that's not quite right. This picture was taken after the dive and the tide had fallen quite a bit from the high tide mark.

Getting to Fort Sewell is somewhat difficult as the streets in this part of Marblehead are all one way. Dan recommended getting directions to the Barnacle restaurant which is right next door. There is a small parking lot across the street which is good for 10 cars. The lot was full so I parked along the street in a legal space. Parking spots turned over quickly, however as people did not stay too long. I wouldn't visit here on the weekend during high season unless it was very early in the morning.

I dove with Dave and Matt who had both visited the site before. Entry was easy. There is a stairway leading down to the beach. I went in at high tide so it felt like walking into a pool! Viz was very good. I would estimate 30feet. Water temp was 36deg. The recommended course is to stay to the left of the cove and head out around the corner. The left side is rocky, and the center of the cove is flat, open and sandy. There were numerous sand dollars in this area. We slowly headed out and around the left side stopping to pick up scallops. Max depth was 32fsw, with an average of 26fsw. We were in for 42 minutes. Seas were flat, and the current was slight. There was a breeze from the west as well. Heading back in, we picked around the rocks and I found this plate:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Apparately there was a hotel at or near this site, and trash was dumped here. The makers mark is J&G Meakin. After cleaning the plate I noticed the word 'hotel' stamped on the back and the letters JJ ?? stamped underneath it. I'm still doing some reseach, but if anyone can share more information, I'd appreciate it.

Marine life was scarce. I did see a small lobster, scallops, moon snail, a whelk and a solitary hydroid.

Upon exiting, there were several spectators waiting to greet us and ask many questions. Back at my truck, removing my gear, several people stopped to chat. A friendly bunch here!

All and in all an interesting site, which I think is a good place to dive in the off-season when crowds are light and parking is easy. Entry is easy too. The Barnacle restaurant is next door, which makes for a very nice apres dive spot to hang out. The cove looks to be well protected too.

Nice report. We should have a sub forum for these reports so we can have a collection of them in one spot.

Enjoyed reading your great report! Nice pics. Thanks!

Never dove there, but, after reading your report, will plan on it this year....I love finding artifacts! :)

Dave C

Quick report - my buddy and I dove Sewall again on Sunday. Another very good dive with conditions similar to last week. 62 minute dive averaging 26fsw, 36deg water temp. We found a number of beer bottles, two golf balls, but no china. We didn't see any fish, but a few small lobsters. Returning to the truck, the EP were waiting for us. Not an issue as we had no catch (which seemed to surprise him).

Hey, its Matt from your first dive. Its kind of interesting, the EP showed up after everyone (other than me) left on the first dive when I was getting ready to leave. He asked a lot of very specific lobster related questions, so I'm thinking they have been getting a lot of complaints in the area.

Could be. The EP said he left the site to go inspect a recreational fishing boat that entered harbor and then returned to visit us. I think its ironic, that during the summer when I sometimes see people taking shorts, I've never seen an EP on site. In the middle of the winter however, I get inspected. My thinking is that there are two major reasons, 1. not much going on right now in terms of recreational fishing, 2. Odds are high that anyone taking lobsters from a shore dive has shorts.

2. Odds are high that anyone taking lobsters from a shore dive has shorts.

Absolutely not true in my experience as both a shore and boat diver/owner. I have seen far more boat divers try to get away with keeping shorts than I ever have from shore divers. One of those people found out how well/if their gear floated when chucked off the side of my moving boat :no:

Thanks for the report ! Very interesting to hear about sites we do not know :)
mmmmmmh Scallops... never found any, never seen any so far :( I'm sure there must have been a few, but since I never saw any, it gets more difficult to spot them I believe... This means I need to put this dive site on my todo list as well !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom