Diving on biz trip, early March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tradkelly

Registered
Reaction score
G'day, all. I am coming to Pensacola for a short business trip in early March - dates flexible - and would love to put in a couple of dives while I'm there. I'm looking for your local recommendations on what to do with a morning or afternoon (probably not a full day), be it shore or boat. I am not nitrox and although I'd love to do the Oriskany, it's not in the stars for a more casual dive for me.

I am a photographer and would like to find something with clear water if possible - wrecks, life, muck, whatever. I'd be happy to go out with a pickup partner if you're available as well.

I need to determine my travel schedule based on my recreational activities in the next few days if possible. Anyone have any suggestions for me? :) Thank you in advance. Looking forward to coming down and diving with you all in a few weeks!
Namaste,
kelly

Hey Kelly! Welcome to the West Florida Dive Club Forum. Your best bet is to look in DDD (Deep Dixie Divers Forum) for all the goings on in the Pensacola area, but I'll tell you that we have a ton of stuff here. We have a few shore dives in the Pensacola area which are hit and miss right now as the water is colder and most of the "Reef Fish" have retired to warmer (deeper) water for the season. These include Navarre Beach Pier, Pensacola Beach (Only Sand right now, the reef is buried), and Ft. Pickens (Which is only accessible by boat now as the road is being worked on until April). We also have 2 springs available within 1.5 hours from Pensacola, these are Morrison Springs, and Vortex Springs. The springs are nice dives and very picturesque as the water is so clear (And it's warmer) but you'd better like Sunfish, freshwater Eels, and Goldfish as it's freshwater. Otherwise we have tons and tons of wrecks near and offshore. Prices vary based on where you want to go and most charters to either are 1/2 day trips. There are a few real nice dives that are much less advanced like the three coal barges that are close to shore which are real nice dives. If you PM me I can provide some additional info that may be of use to you as well. Again thanks for visiting our Club page, and if you are going to be in town on the first Tuesday of the month we'd love to have you come by our dive club meeting at 6:30 at the Quality Inn in Gulf Breeze.

Barry Shively
West Florida Dive Club, President

Oh yeah, I'm always available to do some diving, just give me a PM with some details!

Pass the word on to me too! I'll be in Key Largo Mar. 11-15, so, if you in the area before or after those days let me know! I think you'll have plenty of people who'll be willing to buddy up for some diving!!
Michael

Hi Kelly,

Call us or stop by the dive shop in Gulf breeze and we can show you some of local diving options on the map and give directions and if you need any gear at all we can accomodate.

We can also put you on a charter if there is one available at the time if that is something you are interested in at the time.

Barry or Michael can guide you on some dives locally and they know the way to the shop too (not that we are hard to find :) ) we are on the main beach hwy next to the pensacola bay bridge on the water so we are convenient to all the beach dives and the marinas for most charters in the area.

Hope we can help you out and we are always glad to make new friends regardless...

Take care,

Carlos

Bay Breeze Dive Center
850-934-8363

Thank you, gentlemen. I am planning on being in town and hopefully available for some diving on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning/afternoon (either, not both) - am trying to get meetings scheduled around times that I can go play. I am waiting on final confirmation of my travel plans, and will get back with you via PM when I have a proposed schedule set. I will also see if I can make it to the Tuesday meeting - will know ahead of time if I'll have Wed morning free for discussion. I wish it were summer - how's the night shore diving? :) Talk to you soon.

The night diving is not as good as during the summer, with most of the fish out in deeper water. Normally we see a good number of Sting Rays but they seemed to have moved out on the last couple night dives of done. Still it is worth visiting as day or night getting wet is still getting wet, and man do I love to get wet!

TradKelly-
I have a cousin who will be coming into town that week also...from Michigan, for business. She works for Pennant, but they have people coming in from all over the country, not just Michigan.

Any relation to that business or just coincidence?

Sorry, Sailor, just a coincidence. :) I have business at the Naval Station. If you hear of any Pennant parties that sound crashable, of course... :wink:

Barry,
Plans remain the same. I've PMd Carlos and will give him a call in a few days to see about a wreck charter, and still plan on attending the group meeting. It's been awhile since I got wet - except just (yuck) sweaty from skiing or climbing out here in Colorado - so I'm all about just getting in the water, whatever the fish conditions are. There's always something interesting about mucking, no matter. :)
Will update with updates (duh) when I hear them. Looking forward to seeing you all soon.
Namaste,
kelly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom