Pelagics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Simple question...What is the best place in Indonesia to see pelagics? I'm talking sharks, mantas, whale sharks, large tuna, dolphins...anything bigger than me.

That's it...let me know. Cheers

Simple question...What is the best place in Indonesia to see pelagics? I'm talking sharks, mantas, whale sharks, large tuna, dolphins...anything bigger than me.

That's it...let me know. Cheers

Simple answer : Sea World Ancol :eyebrow:, the only place in Indonesia guarantee to see pelagics (except manta & whale shark).

Serously - the best dive sites to see pelagics probably sangalaki, nusa penida, komodo, alor, flores. Mola2 - Nusa penida (August - sept.)

Cheers

Sipadan in Malaysia Borneo with lots of sharks is only an airasia.com flight away ;-). The manta in nusa penida are very cool (manta point) if they are there ;-). Good luck!

We watched a parade of mantas for 2 hours at Manta Rock in the Kri area of Raja Ampat. We left before they did. A few white tips and a marlin as well. Also saw the mola molas in Crystal Bay Nusa Penida. Big zero for mantas at Manta Point at Nusa Penida. Plenty of pelagics in Komodo area. But Indonesia is not a destination like Galapagos or Palau for big fish action

I believe in open water we have chance to see everything, depends of your lucky and right time for diving there. I was ever seen whale shark and bull shark in menjangan Island, Sunfish in bias tugel padangbay, oceanic white tip in gili tepekong, all of these are part of dive sites in bali. For me just enjoy your dive! and you will see everything what you want to see.

I saw an Oceanic White tip Shark too in Gili Tepekong in Bali. But i was very lucky that i met him. For mola-mola it will start from July until October. Normally they are around Nusa Penida in Bali.

Personally, I love Alor for its pelagics (Kel's Dream) and pristine coral reefs. Dives can be challenging due to currents and most are deep dives.

Galapagos -

No guarantees anywhere in Indonesia for these animals. Mantas with regularity in Bali all year round and Depending on currents etc there are spots in komodo renown for Mantas. There is a spot on south Lomobok where Hammerheads can sometimes be seen but is seasonal due to sea conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom