Bali flight arranged need hotel and diveshop advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just booked my flight to Bali November 3-9, 2009. That's all I got. I need some help putting this trip together. Here is what I am thinking so far. Pick up at airport and go straight to Talamben. I need a hotel and dive shop recommendations. My girl doesn't dive so I want somewhere close to the dives. Not too expensive but nice enough to keep her happy and entertained. Dive one day there stay two nights, 3rd and 4th. Check out early on the 5th and go to Ubud...maybe. Stay one or two nights then go to Sanur for the remainder of the trip and dive around there. How does this sound? i'd love to get up to Menjangan but it looks pretty far to take a non diver. If it's a don't miss please advise.

So if you don't mind, please advise on this itinerary or alternative and nice and reasonably priced accommodations and dive shops. Also, how to get around from one place to another. BTW, I'm AOW with around 100 dives experience and prefer reefs with teeming fish, big stuff but not so sure about muck diving. Never done it and guess I should try one dive at least to check it out. Too bad but I think I miss the Mola Mola season.

Cheers...Jon

I plan to dive only 2-3 days (2 dives per day) during the trip.

Menjangan is OK for snorkelers. The boat will drop off the snorkelers on a beach and then take the divers out.

The north part of Bali is much warmer than the south in terms of water temperature. Find out what the international departure tax is for the airport in Bali and save that much money in local currency to pay the tax on the way out.

Departure Tax is Rp 150,000 (as of Nov 08). Tulamben - stay at Mimpi or Tauch Terminal. Cheaper but not as nice - Paradise Palm Beach Bungalows. I dive with Aqua Marine. They can arrange everything for you & make other suggestions. Muck is great if your looking for the strange smaller critters. Scuba Seraya is also a good place, east of Tulamben. They run their boat over to Tulamben, so you can easily dive both areas. Seraya is one of the hot muck diving areas.

I like Mimpi resort both Tulamben and Menjangan. Mimpi Menjangan is more beautiful, larger, better food; I love to dip in the hot spring water after diving. Not cheap though.
You can ask them to pick-you up from the Airport; depend on what time your ETA; if possible you can ask the driver to stop at Tirtatagangga water palace; just before Tulamben. You can do 3 dives on 4th, and probably 2 morning dives on 5th; check-out after lunch - 2.5 hr journey to Mimpi Menjangan, dip into hot spring water, stay 1 night; 2 dives on the next day then check-out after luch to Ubud or other tourist area. So, you can maximize your diving time. Both Tulamben and Menjangan is also good for snorkeling. If not, your girl can enjoy cheap massage (not in the resort) at Tulamben and nice spa at Menjangan.

Thank you for the advice. Any other less expensive but equally comfortable recommendations on hotels? Also, need advice on Sanur and Ubud hotels. Also, if I stay at Mimpi or Tauch for example, am I free to dive with another outfit or do I have to dive with their shop.

Thanks again for the help!

How about theTulamben Wreck Divers hotel or Matahari Tulamben? Also, I was looking at Batu Bella which seems to be a bit outside of the dive sites. Not sure how far away and if it's an inconvenience.

I believe you can stay at Mimpi w/o diving with them; but not sure with Tauch Terminal.
Matahari resort is located next door of Mimpi; simple good value accomodation; food is okay, when we're the A/C was not working. Many divers from the south use matahari as their base.
Never been TWD; but heard some good report about this resort.

I just booked my flight to Bali November 3-9, 2009. That's all I got. I need some help putting this trip together. My girl doesn't dive so I want somewhere close to the dives. Not too expensive but nice enough to keep her happy and entertained. Dive one day there stay two nights, 3rd and 4th. Check out early on the 5th and go to Ubud...maybe. Stay one or two nights then go to Sanur for the remainder of the trip and dive around there. How does this sound? i'd love to get up to Menjangan but it looks pretty far to take a non diver. If it's a don't miss please advise.
Also, how to get around from one place to another. BTW, I'm AOW with around 100 dives experience and prefer reefs with teeming fish, big stuff but not so sure about muck diving. Never done it and guess I should try one dive at least to check it out. Too bad but I think I miss the Mola Mola season.

Cheers...Jon

I plan to dive only 2-3 days (2 dives per day) during the trip.

Hi Jon.

I love Bali, so maybe I can help a little bit. Tulemben is great for shore diving. I love it! You're in & out in an hour so that should keep your girl happy. It has a nice coast line but a rocky beach. There is really little to do in the town but dive & only a few places to eat. I think the best times to dive the wreck are sunrise, sunset and 12:00 noon when everyone else is eating lunch.

Don't know how nice a place you want - I stay at a place that has seen better days but is cheap & on the ocean in a coconut grove. It's very relaxing & you can probably dive at your leisure & as much as you want if it is not busy. Simple rooms are only $7 but not really fit for a vacationing couple. They have remodled a few free standing bungalows that are actually quite nice with hotwater/aircon but are only $25 or so a night. The place is called Puri Madha and I think the phone nuber published in the Lonly Planet is wrong but you can give it a try 036322921 - you can also just drop in.

They are the last dive shop on the ocean to the far north of town - the sign is old and hard to read. It is down the long dirt drive way just past the public access park for divers. If you have your own gear you'll be ok & tanks might cost $7 each - otherwise you can rent some of the best gear in town from the shop just at the beginning of the long dirt driveway near the hard top. If Angel is at Puri Madha - he's fun to dive with. He's been diving the wreck his whole life & actually snorkled around the whole island of Bali - He knows everything about Tulemben. If you see him please tell him Kathy from California says hi!

Honestly, after a few days, Tulemben will get boring if your girl isn't diving. But the snorkling is ok too if the waves aren't too large. A cool thing to do in the afternoon is to hire a car to take you down to Amhed - If you are adventerous and dont' mind a soar tush, hire two locals with motorbikes to take you past Amhed and around Serya through Titra Gangga ;-). It's incredibly beautiful, but you probably can't go by car.

If you can't make that trip, maybe stop at Titra Gangga on your way to/from Ubud the Water Palace is quite beautiful and only takes a few minutes.

Menjangan might be a bit too far - but if you get the urge to dive there, Sanur is a good base for Menjangan with more to do than in Tulemben. Spice Dive in Sanur is a good shop.

As far as Sanur - Personally I'd go to Padang Bai - it's a quiet friendly seaside town. Relaxing with a nice vibe and plenty of places to eat, etc. From there you can dive sites such as Manta Point (and hopefully see the manta) but you will be on the boat 1/2 the day.

Not to worry there are sand beaches & snorkling in Padangbai, internet cafes, coffee houses, etc and plenty of nice people. I love "Absolute Scuba Padangbai" Dive Bali | Diving Bali | Scuba Diving Bali - Padang Bai Beach Bungalows it's a super professional shop with great people & they have nice aircon bungalows for inexpensive, a black bottom pool & good vibe. Alternatively you might find less expensive bungalows just down the walk at "Kerti Inn." All of these numbers should be in the Lonely planet. Don't miss the coffee house at Topi Inn if you go. It's quite sweet & has the best internet & offers water refills.

Finally, Ubud should make your girl very happy. For an inexpensive but really good massage try "Bodyworks" UbudBodyworksCentre.com - Ubud Bodyworks Healing Centre - Bali, Indonesia on Hanoman Road - go with the massage therapist "Wyan" - It's the best $16US you can spend - You won't regret it! You may do two or three!

Another great thing about Ubud is the shopping! Just keep in mind that most things will be inflated 3X or more so bargin - or better yet show up early in the morning as the first customer and ask for "morning price" you will be amazed how fast the price drops at least at the outdoor market. Bargining is a game in Bali so keep smiling!

There are plenty of nice places to sleep in Ubud. Don't ask me unless you want a friendly homestay with clean simple but somewhat romantic rooms for $8 per night including breakfast :wink:. $25 should buy you a very nice place. Try Gusti's garden bungalow for a midrange place with a pool - that is near to all (I've heard it's ok) - but if you look around, you will probably find something much more romantic. I don't know your budget.

I can recommend a very sweet place to eat: "Casa Luna" also ask them about their other location for romantic sunset dinners.

For transportation, it is easiest to get a private car from the airport. If you are with a resort in Tulemben maybe they will pick you up? Otherwise it may cost more than $40 for the taxi fare. The easiest but least expensive way to get around the island is by tourist shuttle. I think you can catch one from Tulemben to Padangbai, Ubud, Sanur & the airport. Just ask around. If you have time & patience maybe you can find one at the airport -- I don't know.

The Balinese are amazing people but they hustle hard to make money from tourists. Laugh and joke with them and you will have more fun! I think a private car w/driver should rent for about $30-$35 per day depending on distance. If this is ok, many people just keep one driver & call him when they need a ride. It's easy to find a driver, chances are that your taxi driver from the airport will try for the position, in some places you will be approached by available drivers quite often.

Truthfully, I think it might make more sense to go to Padangbi or Sanur first, then to Tulemben and finally back to Ubud - The transport will be less expensive because you can take shuttles for most of it. You can take dive days off before flying in Ubud & you won't have to carry all the stuff you bought in Ubud with you around Bali ;-).

Keep in mind many workers only earn about $3US per day so know the value of your dollars!

Any other questions, or if are a backpacker and want real budget advice feel free to PM me ;-)! Have fun! I'll be back there in July if not sooner.

wow thanks Kathydeee! That was very helpful. I just got a roughguide and looked up some of the things to do and places to stay. The place you recommended for Tulemben actually is the one I was considering. Ubud, I think we want to stay somewhere in the $30-$50 range that is comfortable and romantic.

Padang Bai looks really good for me. Are there any nice mid priced places there.

Unfortunately I think my diving will be limited to 2 days. One in Tulamben and one from Padang Bai/Sanur.

So I think we will go directly to Tulamben and stay at Puri Madha or maybe upmarket at Tulamben Wreck Divers or even Tauch Terminal since my girl will appreciate the pool/comfort while I dive. Any thoughts on this? Then off to Ubud to relax, shop and check out the scenery. Finally, we'll head down to the beach for the remainder of the trip and off to the airport. I didn't mention before, but we're located in Bangkok so this is not too far for us to travel and also many of the cultural norms and economy are similar.

I'll be sure to write a review once we return. If anyone has any more advice or recommendations please let me know.

Cheers...Jon

For Padangbai check out Absolute Scuba. They have an office in Sanur. They have a good rep on SB.

We stayed in Sanur and dove with them one day in Padangbai. On the van ride to the dive we met a couple that got a great stay/dive package with Absolute Scuba. They have a hotel/restaurant as part of their dive shop. They also have a nice pool with a view of the bay. The lodging and food there are standard issue for Bali. I can't remember the exact price but I remember it being a deal compared to what we paid for our 2 tank dive. I think some meals were included and they got free transpo from Sanur to Padangbai. I am heading to Bali in August and plan to dive with Absolute again.

Chug

Back
Top Bottom