Odd question about C-Cards for you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Seeing that UTD is doing this I am curious if the cards SEI will issue will have the gas they are rated for as well. One of the minor complaints I have with NAUI is that if I want to get a Nitrox fill I need to have two cards on me. Thanks.

For our divers we don't plan to add their gas rating to the c-card, just issue them a nitrox diver card, which means that they already have an open water or advanced OW diver card. The diver would just need to carry the nitrox card as the implication is clear that they are already certified as an OW or better diver.

For Instructors we have discussed adding their specialty Instructor certifications to the card. For now we keep those date at the HQ and simply issue Instructor, and Inst. Trainer certifications. If this becomes an issue we would consider adding the specialty ratings. I myself do not want to carry all of the cards I have now, but it is cool to flash the ice instructor card in the Keys.

Sadly, the industry rarely checks cards anyway. In 34 years of diving I have had to show a c-card at less than a dozen places, including going on dive boats, purchasing life support equipment (regulator and gas fills) including nitrox. The only place that I am sure to have to show one is in Florida State Parks, which is a credit to their diligence. The RSTC and the rest of the agencies should lean on the dive centers and operators to request c-cards as they ar supposed to.

If you want to voice an opinion on this to the HQ, send an email to info@seidiving.org Thanks!

Thanks Dan for picking up on this. I was at work when the post came in.

To add to this is that adding a specific gas rating to a divers card is kind of misleading. Unless one is classified for tech such as Adv Nitrox or Trimix it is pretty much understood that a Nitrox card implies OW certification. Also if you are asking about gas ratings nitrox is taken to mean up to 40%. Over that is tech diving and beyond what SEI currently offers. But as Dan also stated rarely do places ask for cards.
It really is no big deal to carry two cards in my wallet. Usually my instructor card and my Helitrox. I've not yet had a problem getting a nitrox fill. If they ask the others are in the logbook. I also agree that shops and ops need to be more dilligent in checking certifications and in the case of advanced dives logbooks as well.

One thing about the NAUI cards that many do not realize is that NAUI offers two different Nitrox cards. There is the basic Nitrox card that most shops offer, unfortunately, because it requires the class time and no dives. The Nitrox Diver card is exactly the same except the student is required to do two nitrox dives with their instructor to complete the certification. This card saves you from the two cards issue. On top of that, it is a good idea to get the experience of diving nitrox AND especially planning nitrox dives before just jumping into it.

RoyalScubaAustin:
One thing about the NAUI cards that many do not realize is that NAUI offers two different Nitrox cards.

...and they get you exactly the same thing when you go diving. It's silly, either require the dives or don't. SEI does require two dives for any nitrox certification.

Jim,
The Helitrox card is from what agency and what are the % limits on it?
NAUI and in addition to nitrox to 40% it is also referred to as an entry level trimix since the starting mix is a 26/17 Oxygen/Helium mix and from then on it's a matter of experience, planning, and training.

One thing about the NAUI cards that many do not realize is that NAUI offers two different Nitrox cards. There is the basic Nitrox card that most shops offer, unfortunately, because it requires the class time and no dives. The Nitrox Diver card is exactly the same except the student is required to do two nitrox dives with their instructor to complete the certification. This card saves you from the two cards issue. On top of that, it is a good idea to get the experience of diving nitrox AND especially planning nitrox dives before just jumping into it.

My card does say Enriched Air Nitrox Diver. However, it does not say "Advanced diver" which some Ops require. What I would like is for my C-card at any level say something to the effect of "Nitrox Certified".

I sent a suggestion to NAUI that they should consider offering something like that even if they charged for this type of card. I know I would drop the little extra cash for it.

For our divers we don't plan to add their gas rating to the c-card, just issue them a nitrox diver card, which means that they already have an open water or advanced OW diver card. The diver would just need to carry the nitrox card as the implication is clear that they are already certified as an OW or better diver.

Sadly, the industry rarely checks cards anyway. In 34 years of diving I have had to show a c-card at less than a dozen places, including going on dive boats, purchasing life support equipment (regulator and gas fills) including nitrox. The only place that I am sure to have to show one is in Florida State Parks, which is a credit to their diligence. The RSTC and the rest of the agencies should lean on the dive centers and operators to request c-cards as they ar supposed to.

The area I am thinking of is the Florida Keys who do check cards for "Advanced Diver" or better for dives like the Speigel Grove.

Thanks Dan for picking up on this. I was at work when the post came in.

To add to this is that adding a specific gas rating to a divers card is kind of misleading. Unless one is classified for tech such as Adv Nitrox or Trimix it is pretty much understood that a Nitrox card implies OW certification. Also if you are asking about gas ratings nitrox is taken to mean up to 40%. Over that is tech diving and beyond what SEI currently offers. But as Dan also stated rarely do places ask for cards.
It really is no big deal to carry two cards in my wallet. Usually my instructor card and my Helitrox. I've not yet had a problem getting a nitrox fill. If they ask the others are in the logbook. I also agree that shops and ops need to be more dilligent in checking certifications and in the case of advanced dives logbooks as well.

I understand that to have Nitrox is to be OW at least. The problem is some ops require more than OW for certain dives.

Sorry correct me if I am wrong but isn't Advanced Nitrox for mixes over 40%? So a card saying only Nitrox certified would mean up to 40% with Advanced Nitrox covering higher.

No worries if SEI does not plan to anything like this, it was just a question for you guys. :)

If SEI is trying to do things differently/better, putting Nitrox on the OW and AOW cards would be a good thing to do. It's a common complaint with PADI that they don't, at least not unless you pay them extra for a replacement card. As many have pointed out, even though Nitrox implies at least OW, often you need a AOW card (and there has even been the occasional story of the moron that wouldn't accept a Nitrox card as implying OW.) And even though it has been your experience that hardly anyone asks for C-cards, that's definitely not true everywhere. I travel and nearly everyplace does check cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom