Need help identifying this set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My girlfriend just purchased a supposedly never used reg set from ebay. The seller said it was a Sherwood Shadow but after looking at the pic I think the primary second stage is a Sherwood Oasis. I'd also like to know what make and model this console is and what is the small digital looking display at the bottom.
Can anyone help me identify these?

Attachments

• Sherwood.jpg
    Sherwood.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 181
I can't really identify the reg for you. To me it looks like an old blizzard that a friend of mine has.

The digital display is probably a bottom timer. I'm guessing that because the analogue ones are an spg and depth gauge. These were a fairly common feature on consoles in the late 80's (which is probably your clue to how old it is). Given the age of the reg I'd say it's definitely not a computer, if that's what you were thinking.

R..

I believe that Shadow is what the auxiliary that attaches to the power inflator was called.

The seller said they were purchased new a couple years ago but she never used them because she never took her Padi class. From what I've been able to find on the net, it looks like the previous style Oasis. I think the new design came out in 2005. I don't think they're as old as the 80's. At least I hope not. I thought the digital display was probably a clock or bottom timer too. I wasn't expecting a computer.

Right now I think it's an Oasis 1st and second with a shadow octopus that inigrates with the power inflator. Of course I could be wrong. And I still have no idea what console that is.

Anyone???

I guess I'll know for sure in a few days when they're delivered. Lol

The seller said they were purchased new a couple years ago

Nope. No chance. Just look at the knob on the yoke. I'm not a real expert in Sherwood knobs but as far as I can recall, they havn't made a regulator with the word "SHERWOOD" written on the knob like that for a looooonnngg time....

R..

Looks almost identical to my first reg purchased in 1990. The shadow is the alternate spliced into the bc inflator hose. If the primary 2nd stage says "oasis" on it then that's what it is the console is the standard sherwood 3 guage of the era with an optional bottom timer at the opposite end from the compass. It might be unused, but it was purchased much closer to 2 decades ago than 2 years.

Ebay--caveat emptor

This is an old system. It appears to be a system from the late 80's maybe 1990. The regs were changed from this design in 1991. The gauges/digital bottom timer are come the same era. Sorry there is nothing new about this system. It may never have been used before but it isn't new.

.... but don't dispair, ikwik. Sherwood regs have a long and well deserved tradition of being bullet proof. Your wife didn't buy a bad reg (although it's behind the performance curve as compared to modern ones). She may have paid too much for it but as long as you can get it serviced it's all good. Just forget the money and go diving. :)

R..

I agree this set is from around 85-90.They did not seem to mark their regs very well back then . Rock solid bulletproof . I use one for an air gun .

They were delivered today and they really do look brand new. I can't find a scratch, grain of sand or salt, or even a water stain on anything. Even inside the second stage. I believe the seller was honest that these have never been used. Is there a way to find out when they were made from a serial number?

By the way, it definitely is an Oasis with a Shadow octopus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom