Hello Dixie Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm a newbie, this is my first post, but I have the "itch" to get started! I just talked to an instructor about lessons and he mentioned that he does his open water at the Destin jetties. I then googled for forums and walla! I am here in scuba board. Then I seen SeaYoda's picts - man I am hooked and have not even been on my first dive. I love the water - so I know I will love Scuba. It is something I have been wanting to do my whole life. He mentioned going in April to the jetties - will it be too cold then without a suit? I have so many questions - too many to list - so I will try to read posts for while before i ask a lot. Stuff like - is it worth owning your own BC, Tanks, and regulator. What camera to use .. etc.. Is Dixie Divers an actual diving club? Well - i'm running out of words - see ya in April or May in Destin!!!:D

I don't think I'd dive the Destin Jetties in April without a suit, luckily, you can rent suits at a couple of places in Destin so you won't freeze if you're without your own!

If you're going to dive regularly, even somewhat, its best to have your own BC and regulators. This ensures that you have good working gear(if you keep them serviced). Not only that, its much safer to dive familiar gear than ever changing off the rack rental equipment with a questionable background. As for tanks... If you end up diving regularly... it'll pay for itself. If you dive only a handfull of times a year, or less, probably better to just rent.

How long does a bcd and regulator last?

I would by my gear in this order (the big stuff anyway):

• Mask, Snorkel, Fins
  • Dive skin
  • Wetsuit (3mm jacket and 3mm farmer john, in that order)
  • B/C
  • Regulator & Octopus (I recommend air integrated inflator)
  • Nitrox Computer
  • Weights
  • Tanks
  • Everything else

The 3mm jacket/john will let you dive from April to October, and imo is much more versatile than a jumpsuit. It's also easier to get a good fit with a 2-piece. Henderson is the best in my opinion. The dive skin will make it much easier to don/doff, and will keep the jelly critters at bay during the warmer months.

You don't need the best bc you can afford, they're all pretty much the same. Make sure you get something that's weight-integrated, and has good pockets. The rest is just gravy. Don't get back inflate if you plan to do any surface work. They're great for photography underwater, but topside they tend to put you face-down.

Get the best regulator you can afford. Atomic Z2 is where I would start, but the B2 will give you the best of both worlds. (T2 is not worth the extra $$$ though) I also recommend Atomic frameless mask, Atomis "smoke on the water" fins w/spring straps. You will thank me for the spring straps after your first beach or boat dive.

Oceanic makes the best computers imho. Get the Geo and/or Veo 100nx unless you can afford something nicer. Oceanic is good in that they stand behind their products 110%, and their tables are not too liberal or conservative.

Don't give in to on-line temptation for the purchase of your regs or computers. In the long run, it's much, much better to get those items from an authorized LOCAL dealer, this is especially true with Atomic and Oceanic lines. They really, really stand behind their gear, and will often stretch the length and breadth of their warranties for stuff purchased from reputable dealers.

Wait until you're certified to get your camera gear. You need to be completely comfortable with your diving skills and buoyancy control before you muck about with a camera (AND ESPECIALLY A SPEARGUN).

When you get ready to buy a camera, find the best strobe you can afford, then save up another $300 and buy one better than the first. You can have a $3000 slr with a $3000 lens, and a $7000 housing, and I'll still take better pics than you because I have a better strobe. No joke. I really like the Inon D2000, but the Inon Z240 has all the latest bells and whistles and does not cost much more. I shoot a Canon A570IS with a hacked memory card, and a Canon housing. If I was going to buy a camera today, I'd go for the Canon G10, with a Canon housing and ULCS or Inon tray/arms. Ideally you would shoot with two strobes, but that's serious money and weight, and you need to be damn sure you want to take photos before investing in a second strobe.

Again, the camera is less important than the strobe in underwater photography.

Hope that helps.

-H

You will learn early on as you read through the Zillions of messages on ScubaBoard....that one thing my dad taught me IS true...."opinions are like butt holes (I cleaned his version up) every ones got at least one!"

Hetland has given you some good advice...and it is not wrong. But, I would disagree with about half of what he has stated. Again, he didn't give you bad advice (hope you understand what I am saying Hetland). He gave you advise based upon his personal experience and the way he dives. The way you will dive may differ from his...that might mean your gear choices will need to be different.

Read a LOT, talk to divers a LOT, find a local dive club and start attending...even before you are certified. Buy gear very SLOWLY, except for what you will need for class. Don't be afraid to ask questions...but use the search function on ScubaBoard before you do. It will save you a lot of time.

Oh yeah, Deep Dixie Divers are a great group to discuss things with...it is the southern hospitality thing...no offense to the other parts of the board.:D

Enjoy your journey in to diving! Let me know when you get to dive the Destin jetties....maybe Yoda and I can meet you there.

I would by my gear in this order (the big stuff anyway):

• Mask, Snorkel, Fins
  • Dive skin
  • Wetsuit (3mm jacket and 3mm farmer john, in that order)
  • B/C
  • Regulator & Octopus (I recommend air integrated inflator)
  • Nitrox Computer
  • Weights
  • Tanks
  • Everything else

The 3mm jacket/john will let you dive from April to October, and imo is much more versatile than a jumpsuit. It's also easier to get a good fit with a 2-piece. Henderson is the best in my opinion. The dive skin will make it much easier to don/doff, and will keep the jelly critters at bay during the warmer months.

You don't need the best bc you can afford, they're all pretty much the same. Make sure you get something that's weight-integrated, and has good pockets. The rest is just gravy. Don't get back inflate if you plan to do any surface work. They're great for photography underwater, but topside they tend to put you face-down.

Get the best regulator you can afford. Atomic Z2 is where I would start, but the B2 will give you the best of both worlds. (T2 is not worth the extra $$$ though) I also recommend Atomic frameless mask, Atomis "smoke on the water" fins w/spring straps. You will thank me for the spring straps after your first beach or boat dive.

Oceanic makes the best computers imho. Get the Geo and/or Veo 100nx unless you can afford something nicer. Oceanic is good in that they stand behind their products 110%, and their tables are not too liberal or conservative.

Don't give in to on-line temptation for the purchase of your regs or computers. In the long run, it's much, much better to get those items from an authorized LOCAL dealer, this is especially true with Atomic and Oceanic lines. They really, really stand behind their gear, and will often stretch the length and breadth of their warranties for stuff purchased from reputable dealers.

Wait until you're certified to get your camera gear. You need to be completely comfortable with your diving skills and buoyancy control before you muck about with a camera (AND ESPECIALLY A SPEARGUN).

When you get ready to buy a camera, find the best strobe you can afford, then save up another $300 and buy one better than the first. You can have a $3000 slr with a $3000 lens, and a $7000 housing, and I'll still take better pics than you because I have a better strobe. No joke. I really like the Inon D2000, but the Inon Z240 has all the latest bells and whistles and does not cost much more. I shoot a Canon A570IS with a hacked memory card, and a Canon housing. If I was going to buy a camera today, I'd go for the Canon G10, with a Canon housing and ULCS or Inon tray/arms. Ideally you would shoot with two strobes, but that's serious money and weight, and you need to be damn sure you want to take photos before investing in a second strobe.

Again, the camera is less important than the strobe in underwater photography.

Hope that helps.

-H

Anyone seen any bull sharks at the jetties? I know the statistics - just wondering...

Glen is correct. My post was about my preferences. Another diver will like other gear, and other configurations. I don't sell gear, or own stock in any gear companies, I just use what works best for me.

The Exception: Atomic Regs. If you don't like Atomic Regs, then you don't understand regs :D

Seriously though, cavers dive different from spearos dive different from photogs dive different from tech dive different from pure rec divers.

You will learn early on as you read through the Zillions of messages on ScubaBoard....that one thing my dad taught me IS true...."opinions are like butt holes (I cleaned his version up) every ones got at least one!"

Hetland has given you some good advice...and it is not wrong. But, I would disagree with about half of what he has stated. Again, he didn't give you bad advice (hope you understand what I am saying Hetland). He gave you advise based upon his personal experience and the way he dives. The way you will dive may differ from his...that might mean your gear choices will need to be different.

Read a LOT, talk to divers a LOT, find a local dive club and start attending...even before you are certified. Buy gear very SLOWLY, except for what you will need for class. Don't be afraid to ask questions...but use the search function on ScubaBoard before you do. It will save you a lot of time.

Oh yeah, Deep Dixie Divers are a great group to discuss things with...it is the southern hospitality thing...no offense to the other parts of the board.:D

Enjoy your journey in to diving! Let me know when you get to dive the Destin jetties....maybe Yoda and I can meet you there.

The Exception: Atomic Regs. If you don't like Atomic Regs, then you don't understand regs :D

On this we agree 100%

Seriously though, cavers dive different from spearos dive different from photogs dive different from tech dive different from pure rec divers.

Another 100% agreement...before I started diving, I just thought all divers used the same equipment. I mean...there can only be one type of fins right...I mean, a fin is a fin!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom