Anyone been to Malta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devnull once bubbled...
Has anyone got any recommendations for diving in Malta?
I'll be heading there within the month.

thanks.

Be extra alert on safety
Think for yourself
Dont do dives you are not ready to do
AND
DONT let them touch your gear.

devnull once bubbled...

thanks.

I ws there last december, the diving was ok.. I wa with maltaqua..

be aware malta has strict medical regulations when it comes to diving.. whats allowed in many countries isn't allowed there..
as long as you aren't trying to teach, get your own doctor to issue you a form for fitness to engauge in scuba diving.. if your health is perfect you can get it when you get there..

My friend was denied the ability to dive because he had a collapsed lung 12 years ago.. in the states he had tests certifying he was fit to dive.. if he showed up with a fitness he would have been ok, but as soon as the doctor saw the scar, his malta diving days are over.

Lots of good diving, and almost all of it from shore. I dove mostly with Subway and Deep Blue in Bugibba. Both good ops. Most any operator will pick you up from your hotel in Bugibba, Sliema, or St Paul's Bay.

Don't dive Anchor Bay unless you know there has been an offshore wind there for several days. There is a deep-water sewage discharge pipe that passes nearby. Some of the fishermen found that blowing a hole in the pipe with dynamite created their own personal fishing spot. The fish are attracted to the effluent, which washes into Anchor Bay sometimes. Ear infections from this are not entirely uncommon.

Do dive the wreck of the Um El Faroud at Wied iz Zurrieq. It is a bit of a hike uphill once the dive is done, but it really is a great wreck.

Do take a day trip over to Gozo and dive the Blue Hole. The overland hike to the entry point sucks, but it is a really nice dive. A long swim around to your right brings you back in through the Inland Sea for a much easier exit.

Water will still be a little chilly for the next month. Minimum of full 3mm if you are not prone to getting cold. I'd recommend a full 5mm with hood for most people.

Do stop into Rookie's Sports Bar. It's on a back street in Bugibba. Lots of dive instructors hanging out there most nights. They usually had a few good bands come through for some live entertainment.

devnull:

thanks.
i live in malta the bugibba area,i dive with dive deep blue,and they are excellent,if you havn't got your accommodation yet,we have a double bed,on-suite with aircon,that we let to divers,full board,ML15 PER NIGHT,will pick you at airport,we live in a new penthouse.email me at stevemalta@hotmail.com .if you have everything booked,still contact me and we can meet up i'll give you all the info you need.

I recommend Maltaqua on Mosta Road,St Paul's Bay. The surface temperature of the sea was 25C a couple of days ago.

My open water cert was done in Malta at Buddies Dive Cove: www.buddiesmalta.com and I enjoyed it so much that I decided I wanted to be an instructor. We did not stay at the resort near or affiliated with the dive shop; we stayed at the Hilton which was a wonderful place to relax when not diving, but too far away (although they do come pick you up every morning for diving) from our departure points for diving. Shoot Rupert at Buddies an e-mail with what kind of accommodation you are looking for, and he can make some recommendations.

I have the chance to go to Malta on the cheap at Christmas. As I am fairly new to diving, I do not, as yet, have all of my own kit so would need to hire some when I get there. Can anyone offer any advice about reputable companies, conditions at that time of year etc?

Cheers

hi zafarse,i live in malta,and recommend the www.divedeepblue.com dive center in bugibba,there hire rates are very good and they will advice you on temps in Dec.feel free to contact me anymore info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom