Vortex Springs Dive Reports 2-14-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hitched a ride with cmufieldhockey to Vortex Springs Saturday morning. She was budding up with one of her buddies during some OW classes and we were planning to get a cave dive in after the class stuff was finished up. Halftime was there, so I was able to get a really fun OW dive in during the middle of the day as well.

The weather sucked, we struck out through rains in the morning, and it was overcast all day long. It had quit raining by the end of Saturday though, and that was good. While we had rain on and off during the day, the lightning and thunder never showed up, so the diving wasn't held up in the slightest.

After chatting around under the lodge for most of the morning talking with BGillespie(who was sick, not diving, but onsite with another class), halftime showed up, along with another MBT class.

Halftime and I decided to hit the water and goof off for a bit. We went through all the fake caves, putzed around in the cavern, and circled the basin a few times while messing with the fish and eels. It was fun doing some simple fun dives, just goofing around the swim throughs, artificial and natural. At some point, the OW class cmufieldhockey was helping with came into sight, and she managed to steal one of my reels without me knowing. Once their class was finished up, she joined us and gave me back my reel. Since she wanted to steal my gear, I thought I'd just give it all to her. I managed to clip off the reel, two spools, my backup lights and a pigtail full of cave arrows and cookies to her without her realizing it :D Eventually, hunger took his hold and the dive was called with a max depth of 53' for a divetime of 48 minutes.

An hour and nineteen minutes later, cmufieldhockey and I were back in the water. Full tanks and additional tanks of deco gas in the water with us. We ran into the cavern and down to the gate about 300' into the cave. I opened the gate and let cmu through before going through myself and closing the gate behind us. We didn't get far before cmufieldhockey signaled me with some computer issues. We called the dive, no reason to force a dive with intermittant gear(her computer ended up functioning again once back through the gate). Still had a fun dive and had the spring to ourselves for our ascent in OW. Managed to negate any deco by turning early, which also allowed us the extra time to hit up Sally's for some grub for a late lunch! The dive lasted 37 minutes with a max depth of 119'.

All in all, a great day of diving. Saw a couple people I hadn't seen in quite some time and got a pair of really fun dives in! The weather could have been better, but its hard to complain when you're getting wet anyway :D

Lol I thought I was cute swooping down and stealing bugman's reel as my group passed him, but he totally got the last laugh when he made me look like a Christmas tree!

Some of you may know of my boat captain friend Ron who takes me diving but isn't certified. Well I am very pleased to announce he is now a certified open water and did great in his class! We finished up the ow dives at chickenbone beach because the surf was rough at Pensacola Beach for a very successful weekend! The viz was 10 feet at best, I don't advise anybody diving there unless you've been blown out of the beach. Water was 61. Congratulations Ron!

cmufieldhockey was diving a single tank rig, then later dressed up like a christmas tree... and for some reason she couldn't get her camera to work???? Coincidence?

Man my upper back is VERY sore from the backmount single tank! Its from arching my back to hold my trim.. shows how lazy sidemount diving is :)

That CMU is a funny one. I can just see her cracking up through her reg. Sounds like a fun day none the less.

Oh yeah the adreneline of pulling it off had me giggling and out of breath!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom