Seals - I am feeling guilty...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well, I have a seal dive planned in August and I am wondering if anyone can tell me the effect of divers on seals.

I have been told that the seals will come up and nip your fins. To me that sounds so cool, but is it because they are threatened, playful, curious? And my being in their territory, how detrimental is that really? I know we disrupt fish and the environment no matter how careful we are but I really love these animals and don't want to hurt them...

As long as you don't feed them or they don't swallow your fins whole, I don't see how diving with seals can hurt them. If they are afraid, they won't approach you.
If they are aggressive, I doubt they'd stop at nipping at your fins.

Correct me if I am wrong, but seals in CT are exposed to all kinds of trash, and boat traffic and bilge, I would think divers would be the least of their worries.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
As long as you don't feed them or they don't swallow your fins whole, I don't see how diving with seals can hurt them. If they are afraid, they won't approach you.
If they are aggressive, I doubt they'd stop at nipping at your fins.

Correct me if I am wrong, but seals in CT are exposed to all kinds of trash, and boat traffic and bilge, I would think divers would be the least of their worries.

Actally it is Isle of Shoals, off Rye, New Hampshire, you wouldn't catch me diving in the Sound, ewe.

Well, when I signed up for the trip that was my thinking too, but I want to be responsible about it. I won't be feeding them nor will I be looking like food in any way... Sharks tend to hang out where the seals are don't they?

Look at it this way. Diving with seals gives us a better appreciation for them. Having a playful seal nip at your fins gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. You go and tell your friends, coworkers, etc about how cool the experience is and how they are graceful, intelligent animals. You've just raised their level of awareness, thus done some good.

I think the nibbling is curiousity and playfulness. We do see seals out here, and I have had several "close encounters." They generally come over and check out the divers, not the reverse, and they are so fast, they can zip away anytime they want. I have had them come up and stare into my mask -- maybe they see themselves in the glass, or they just want to mess with my head. They are wild animals, though, and you should exercise caution. The only possible source of tension for them is the bubble blowing we do -- they may see it as an aggressive gesture.

I think if you sit back and let them initiate contact as they feel comfortable, you won't be causing them any undo stress.

I have dove with seals on the west coast, truly special dives.

Go have fun!

We have a couple seals locally in our protected dive parks. They seem to really love the divers as they are curious and playful. On night dives, they follow the divers lights to help hunting fish.

I have seen an adult male harbor seal with a threat display only once...it was very obvious that he wasn't happy we were there. Fast, aggressive, mouth open passes at 6" from your head...mouthing another divers arm...note* this was in a different location, this specific seal was not used to divers and we encroached on his hunting ground while he was in the process of hunting.

So...as far as your seal trip goes...if they are used to the divers, no problem, have fun.

I am so excited!! I can't wait until August!! I sure hope I see some!

shellbird once bubbled...
Sharks tend to hang out where the seals are don't they?

Yes. The seals actually nip at your fins to get you to thrash around a little more. It's a sure bet that you are actually between the seal and the shark, and the seal is trying to draw the sharks attention to you from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom