Vortex Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I heard the water was pretty cold and I will be diving there on March 21 and 22. Do I need a wetsuit? If so what thickness?:popcorn:

Most divers I know use a 3mm or 5mm at Vortex, depending on their personal level of cold. You will want a hood or hooded vest to keep warm also - my hooded vest is the best investment I've made in gear.

I heard the water was pretty cold and I will be diving there on March 21 and 22. Do I need a wetsuit? If so what thickness?:popcorn:
In March the weather can be quite warm... or quite cold... or anywhere in between. The water temp will be 68°F (20°C).
Last time I tried it without a wetsuit I lasted 19 minutes - it was a hot summer day and I was counting on that to warm up when we got out of the water :)
I usually wear a 7 mil or a drysuit, but I'm also usually in the water pretty much all day with students.
Most folks are reasonably comfy in a 5 mil over a weekend of 3 dives a day; 3 mil is ok for a dive or two.
I'd wear a hood no matter what; gloves are optional.
Rick

Most divers I know use a 3mm or 5mm at Vortex, depending on their personal level of cold. You will want a hood or hooded vest to keep warm also - my hooded vest is the best investment I've made in gear.

Does that vest go over your main wetsuit? Is it like a shortie?

Does that vest go over your main wetsuit? Is it like a shortie?

A lot of folks who have hooded vests will wear them under (or over) their main wetsuit in colder water as "layering" to add a little extra warmth.

A hooded vest is like a wetsuit top, short sleeves, with a hood on it. (without the legs like a shortie would have).

it's a good way to make a 3mm wetsuit a little warmer.

Like Rick said, Vortex is 68f water temp. It stays almost constant all year round.

I personally prefer to dive it in a 5mm. I hood is nice. I've dove it in a 3mm and gotten a little chilled before. But everyone is different. Bugman dives it in a 3mm all year and doesn't get cold for example.... (or he's immune to the cold!).

A hood and gloves just make that dive a little nicer and really add to supplementing keeping you from thinking you are cold if all you have is a 3mm.

Hood vest is basically like a sleaveless neoprene T-shirt with the addition of a neoprene hood. It usually goes under the wetsuit.

Here ye go...

9534.JPG

Rick

I like my drysuit hood. It's a 5mil and I don't feel as restricted at the neck/chest area since it only comes to the top of my wetsuit. It's all about personal comfort. I wear it on all my dives. It definitely keeps you warmer since the top of your head is where you lose a good amount of heat above and below water. I also have a great dive coat to keep me warm on the intervals.

Carolyn:shark2:

water stays around 70*,so a 3 mm should be comfortable

68F year round in the panhandle springs, less its winter time and flood waters have river water inundated over the top of the spring(not an issue at Vortex).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom