Promate Armour BC600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxmanta

Registered
Reaction score
I asked for peoples' opinions on this BC awhile back and got no responses. I assume it's because Promate is relatively new and few people have much experience with their products.

Anyhoo.......I looked at a few of their products today, including their BC600 and I thought I'd share my opinion.

The BC-600 looks like an excellent product. It seems (excuse my hyperbole) absolutely bulletproof and it's one of the most robust and rugged BC's I've ever seen. It has ten stainless D-rings (more than I would ever need, but it's nice to know that they're there). Also, the inflator hose has a sort of underwater whistle that is activated by pushing a button--a nice touch. There are no zippers on the two pockets. Instead, they are closed by velcro flaps. They also have the de rigeur weight integration pockets.

I've made up my mind to get one. It's difficult being the first one to try a new product, but someone has to take the leap.

Can you post a link to this BC?

Not to rain on your parade but, based on your description, the BC you described seems a little gimmicky.

Choose wisely and buyer beware.

maxmanta once bubbled...
[ It has ten stainless D-rings (more than I would ever need, but it's nice to know that they're there). Also, the inflator hose has a sort of underwater whistle that is activated by pushing a button--a nice touch. [/B]

… If you don’t need em, don’t dive em.

I switched from a black diamond BC to a back plate and wings about five years ago and never looked back. I’ve used it tropical diving (Pallau), cold water diving (Puget Sound is home), I’ve used it all day long doing eel grass surveys (8 hrs in 4 to 40 fsw), and with doubles and stages at 220 ft. In short, it takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’.

As for the BC600 being bullet proof, there are very few bullet proof quick release hose clips, quick release chest clips, or Velcro straps.

Take a look at all the parts and ask how many of them will survive having a tank dropped on them. What you treat as gold your fellow divers on a crowded dive boat will not.

Dive alert whistles have their uses; they also have parts that break/stick. Consider keeping it in your pocket until you need it, not in your primary bouncy circuit which you need constantly.

It’s hard to back out of a decision once you’ve made it but take your time on this one. Will this BC kill you? No probably not. Will it give you years of trouble free use? If you take care of it, most likely. Could you do better? Yup (imho). Resist the urge to blow the cash and do a little more shopping.

I think EZ is spot on with the gimmicky buyer beware advice.

In dive gear all that glitters is not gold, it’s probably just glitter.

Good luck and safe diving,

Dave

Link to the BC600 http://www.promateusa.com/buoyancy.htm

PS. How much $$ does the BC600 set one back?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom