Nitrox and Second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splicer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was reading an article about my Octo (Sherwood Shadow) there was a part in the article about it not being Nitrox compatable, I emailed Sherwood and they said this only was for using a mix of 40% or higher, for the standard mix, 32% and 36% it would be no problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

using a mix less than 40%--no problem..Using 40% and more-should treat mix as 100% and use appropriate procedures.

Out of curiosity, does it affect the O rings? Or do you have to have special equipment for the higher O2?

This should be covered in your Nitrox course. Less than or equal to 40% O2 only requires the tank and valve to be oxygen cleaned. All other pieces of dive gear are satisfactory.

Over 40% requires special procedures and different components. Yes, the o-rings are different as are any other parts that aren't O2 compatible.

But using air mixes with greater than 40% O2 is kind of a specialty well beyond the recreational Nitrox diver anyway. Typically, this is in the domain of the technical diver doing deep or decompression dives.

Richard

Last edited:
Got it. Just went back to my Nitrox ceert. book to reread that section (and rescan the rest). I rely on the computer so much that some of the fundamentals get put by the wayside in the old memory. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was reading an article about my Octo (Sherwood Shadow) there was a part in the article about it not being Nitrox compatable, I emailed Sherwood and they said this only was for using a mix of 40% or higher, for the standard mix, 32% and 36% it would be no problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There are a couple of things going on here with the manufacturers. First, they came up with this "nitrox compatible" thing a couple of years ago in an attempt to sell new equipment to divers advancing to nitrox. It was mostly hype. There is no special oxygen cleaning required for equipment used with gases that contain below 40% oxygen.

As a mechanical engineer who has specified oxygen cleaning to US Air Force specifications, let me debunk a couple of the manufacturers myths here. First, many (quote-unquote) scuba "experts" will insist that viton O-rings are an absolute must especially for regulators used with mixes above 40% O2. This is not necessarily so. Viton has a slightly lower rating as a fuel then Buna-N, but your fuel rating is not the only issue. You have to look at the “fire triangle”. You need a fuel, and oxidizer and an ignition source for combustion. For the most part we control this in scuba equipment a little by reducing the fuel source but mostly by eliminating the ignition source. It is notable here to see that the one plastic piece that sees the release of high pressure gas and so is most exposed to the possibility of friction heating is... THE HIGH PRESSURE SEAT and they don't make that in a different material. O-rings that see low pressure are not near as much of a risk as is the high pressure seat.

In my regulators that I rebuild FOR MYSELF I use Buna-N O-rings. When working on customer equipment I always use the industry specified components for liability reasons.

Now having said above I don't worry about the fuel rating of Buna-N I do worry about the fuel rating of petroleum products in tanks, either from dirty compressors or from cleaning solvents. I've had (quote-unquote) scuba “experts” tell my customers that there is no need to clean the tank in tanks we are going to be doing partial pressure mixing because the tanks only sees pure O2 at atmospheric pressure, that they just needed to clean the manifolds. My answer to this (besides yelling and swearing at the “expert&#8221:wink: is to remind the customer the agency that knows the most about handling oxygen is... NASA. Lets look at their track record on handling oxygen as it relates to accidents. They burned up an Apollo capsule on the launch pad with a 100% oxygen environment at atmospheric pressure (14.72 PSI), the blew up an oxygen tank on the way to the moon on Apollo 13 at below atmospheric pressure (10 PSI) and the they blew up the Challenger Space Shuttle by burning a hole in the oxygen tank at well below atmospheric pressure (60,000 ft is what, maybe 8 PSI). All three of these tragic accidents were from introducing an ignition source to complete the fire triangle when fuel was present. In partial pressure blending we put 100% oxygen into the scuba tank then top with air to make nitrox. If you open a valve too fast you can get friction heating past the valve seat in the tank valve. If I'm the one operating the valve, I don't want any fuel with a rating as high as petroleum products present if that accidentally happens.

So O2 cleaning of the regulator for nitrox percentages below 40% isn't necessary, but O2 cleaning a tank is.

Added 2/19/09: Thanks, guys. I agree pre-blended nitrox doesn't require tank cleaning. I didn't include that here but probably should have. Thanks.

Last edited:
Less than or equal to 40% O2 only requires the tank and valve to be oxygen cleaned.

So O2 cleaning of the regulator for nitrox percentages below 40% isn't necessary, but O2 cleaning a tank is.

Only if it will see high oxygen contents during blending.

When partial pressure blending with higher then 40% 02, yes . When pre-blending, tanks do not have to be 02 cleaned below 40%

True enough! If you only buy banked Nitrox there is no cleaning requirement. The thing is, are you sure you will only get it banked?

Around here, it is only available with partial pressure blending so cleaning is required.

Having the tank and valve cleaned is not an expensive operation and can be done when the tank is viz'd or hydo'd.

All of my tanks are cleaned and labeled for Nitrox. Several of them only contain air but they are ready for Nitrox when I decide it is necessary. Pretty convenient.

Richard

OK. I'm confused. Although I'm not a tank inspector, I've seen many VIPs done at my LDS. They first use a "white" light looking for pitting and corrosion, then a "black" light looking for hydrocarbons, etc. It's my understanding that this process certifies a tank to 40% O2. Of course if it's a AL tank, they also do the eddy current test on the neck as well.

What else is involved in certifying the tank for O2 service (>40%). Or is the black light inspection all that is required for O2 service?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom