Local shop for hydro on "vintage" steel 72's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShagMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've just become the proud owner of some vintage steel 72's, last vis'd in the 90's. They seem to be in good shape except for some light surfact rust on one of the two. I don't have a wand or mirror, but they look clean on the inside, and were supposedly stored pressurized. They have the newer necks, and whaddya know, I have some Sherwood valves to put on them.

Anyways, so I called my usual cave shop, and their hydro facility won't do + ratings on older steel tanks (they use a local fire extinguisher place).

I'm looking for anyone that's had experiences locally getting old steel 72's hydro'd, and getting the '+' rating on them.

Thanks!

Steel 72's are pretty common tanks and unless they were not stored correctly (IE with water in the tank) I see no reason they will not pass hydro or vis.

I vis'd and hydro'd a steel 72 very recently and it was in excellent condition both inside and out.

You should not have a problem getting a steel tank vis'd or hydro'd no matter where you take it. It's not like a the vintage Aluminum tanks :D

EDIT just noticed the stuff about the + rating. For that you'll have to find the right hydro facility as only some of them do the plus. I don't see the plus being a huge deal (especially in cave country though lol).

Mat.

I have a set of steel tanks last hydro'd in 1959 and they passed with flying colors. Always ask for a copy of the test. By the way, those tanks were made in 1943! Tim

The problem getting the plus on old steel 72's is that most hydro shops do not have any documentation on what the REE number is. Without it the calculation for the plus can not be done. Call every hydro shop you can find and see if one may have the REE documentation. Good luck.

Josh, I use a place in Dothan for hydros. I haven't had to run any steel tanks up there yet, but they do much more than just fire extinguishers and I'm guessing they might do + rating hydros. The key might be bringing them the specs so they can do it properly. I will give them a call and check it out. Another option would be Gainesville. It's quite a ride but you might be able to find people that could transport them back and forth during regular trips for you. I'll let you know what I find out about the Dothan shop.

Well Edd/Gordon offered to take them up to Dothan for me, Gordon's making a trip up there Monday and I'm heading by this weekend... Edd didn't seem to think they'd do the '+' part tho.

Mighty good of you to call Rob, let me know what you find out!

I had trouble getting the plus on my 72 doubles,no problem if you can get a fat fill on them,not so easy around here,I am usually excited if they get filled to 2200 psi.

I love cave shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom