Taking PADI DM Course coming from NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orionnt

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im planning to get my Divemaster certification from the Local dive shop in the next few months, and I had a question. My OW, AOW, and Rescue certifications are all through NAUI, but my LDS is PADI.

Since I will be taking a PADI DM course, and not NAUI, is it worth getting the PADI OW, AOW, and Rescue manuals since I do not currently own them? I have read that some of the exam material is not in the DM guide since it is covered in previous PADI manuals. Is this really the case? Or will I be ok coming from NAUI and doing a PADI DM course?

I would just do the NAUI DM course, but I dont have that option around here.

Any Advice?

Will you be doing an internship? If so, you should pick up all you need to know while helping out with the classes. Things that you might run into acronyms that they use to help students remember things like the 5 point descent. This one they use SORT D (Signal, Orient, Regulator, Time, Descend). Provided the instructor covers all this sort of stuff in the classes *which he/she should), you should have it down after assisting a couple of times.

If you plan on going on to instructor, I recommend buying those books. You'll want them to prepare your presentations, prepare for the testing, etc during the IDC and IE.

I recommend picking up the manuals. If you go for your PADI OWSI you will need them. Also it's a good idea to look over how the 20 basic skills are broken down and presented because as a DM you may be assisting other PADI pros.

Yea, as far as i know, I will be doing an internship. I believe they want me to assist with 2 classes and possibly send me on one of there dive trips as well. :)

I'll try and pick up the Manuals somewhere though. Ive been reading the Navy dive Manual to prep for the course as well. I've already got PADI Dive Slates, is there anything else I will need? or will it all come with the manuals?

I also recommend getting the PADI Manuals and going over them. As a PADI DM you need to be familiar with PADI courses you will be assisting with.

You should purchase the Divemaster Crewpack when you sign up for your course. It will have what you need for the DM course. (except for the manuals you should already have) Also purchase the new eRDPml and learn how to use it.

Check this out as well:

PADI Divemaster Study Guide

Have fun! :cheers:

DM is a leadership position, so much of what you learn in is how to supervise certified divers, assist instructors in classes, manage risk, and follow training standards.
Although the "lower division" PADI manuals will not enlighten you any more than NAUI's, part of the learning that occurs in the DM course is "The PADI Way." Part of said way is having the PADI materials (standards require using those manuals, but that's more of an instructor issue than DM issue). Also, some of the knowledge development questions are drawn directly from the three courses you mentioned, so they will help you in that regard.

The U.S. Navy Diving Manual contains far more information that you'll encounter in the DM class, and knowledge is a good thing. But again, part of the PADI way is the PADI answer. During my DM course, I took issue with a few things espoused by PADI because of education in other areas, but I put them aside because it's PADI's course and PADI's standards, and I follow them.

Good luck with your DM course. You'll learn a lot and fine tune your skills. It's fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom