What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
You saved for a year to go on a liveaboard vacation in an exotic location. When you check aboard the crew really doesnÃÕ seem that interested and are aloof. Second dive on the second day you come back aboard the boat to a strong smell of pot on the stern. All the guest were in the water only crew was on board. What actions would you take and why?

It would seem to me that if you were in an "exotic" location, you might have very little recourse outside of notifying the owner/management. In these types of situations it almost always boils down to your word against theirs, and since you are no longer there and registering your concerns, the chances are that very little, if anything, will be done about it.

I captained a liveaboard that spent time in the Bahamas and Belize and because it was a US flagged vessel, drug use was grounds for immediate termination, and the company had a zero tolerance policy for drugs on board (this could be a very serious offense-if the USCG finds drugs on a U.S. flagged vessel, they have the right to confiscate the vessel).

I did encounter a few guests who were smoking pot on the sundeck, but after explaining the company policy and the risks of having the vessel seized, they were always very cooperative and apologetic.

I personally would tell the captain that I thought I smelled pot when I got back on the boat and that I would hope that this would not happen while the crew was still responsible for the safety and well being of the guests. This would not be done in an accusatory way and it would be stressed that "I think I smelled pot..." so that he could easily save face if required. As long as it was not repeated, I would likely be OK with it. I would also then make sure to have someone else test my air and my gear :D for the rest of the week. I would also ask for my very own food tester as well....just in case.

You saved for a year to go on a liveaboard vacation in an exotic location. When you check aboard the crew really doesnÃÕ seem that interested and are aloof. Second dive on the second day you come back aboard the boat to a strong smell of pot on the stern. All the guest were in the water only crew was on board. What actions would you take and why?

Tell them "you know, I surfaced a bit early and I got some really interesting surface shot of the boat. BTW, where do y'all keep the free booze at?" :rofl3:

I wouldn't necessarily do anything....... how well did the crew perform all week? Tanks filled and meals served? Overall experience of trip?
I would then leave my tip according to that...... and make sure to do a trip report mentioning the name of the boat and any issues you need to address here. If everything onboard was good-excellent, then I would overlook the smoke. If the service was all-around poor to mediocre then I would slam them with the tip and let them know why along with a letter to the home office of the boat.
I have been on several liveaboards and never seen anything like this........ however, crew smoking cigarettes on the back deck seems to be a major occurance and quite annoying to me as I always seem to have to walk through the smoke now and then. It could very well have been that the crew were smoking something other than pot since you say "exotic location".

robin:D

At least they weren't drinking.

My advice: Hang out with the crew and check out the ganja. Weed is far better for relaxing between dives than booze because it doesn't dehydrate, so as long as you're not smoking it so much & so regularly that you're tarring up your lungs, puff away!

Seriously, if otherwise you were well cared-for on the boat, I wouldn't worry about it.

>*< Fritz

I probably wouldn't say or do anything. If they crew was disinterested and aloof then that would be reflected in my tip.

one thing to keep in mind... as a former instructor on a liveabord.... there is NO escape on the boat. We had to find something to keep our wits about us... for me it was reading and smoking tobacco (dunhill or benson&hedges).... This is their life... while you are on the boat and off again in a week, they are literally cooped up for 2 months or more at a time without more than a 12 hour sojourn... and sometimes not even that.

If the service was good, it is possible that part of the reason is because they snuck a bit of mellow in.

the weed in many of the "exotic" places is pretty tame compared to the genetically modified wheelchair varieties available in developed countries... and considering that some people develop a tolerance to it... there is a pretty good chance they would still have responded adequately in case of an emergency.

While I personally do not approve, nor do not smoke the weed myself, I can understand where they might see the benefit of chilling for a bit... guests are hard work!!!!

There is lots of grey with this situation. Were they off duty or on duty ?? If on duty and had the potential to compromise the level of service especially if they were operating any type equipment that might interfere with my person safety I would probably be concerned. Which in that case I would say something to the captain. If off duty then I guess I really do not care. However, are crew ever really off duty? That said if you were smelling it would be hard for the captain not to notice as well. Overall, if the level of service was just okay or subpar my tip would reflect that service.

The crew is always on duty. What if the boat were to have an emergency. I certainly wouldn't want some pot head trying to figure out what to do. Under no circumstances should a crew member be drunk or under the influence of any substance at any time. Notify the captain, owners and potential customer via Scuba Board.

Back
Top Bottom