Need help diving Moalboal, Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there! Might be diving Moalboal Sunday and I'm desperate for information. Arriving there this Saturday night and diving the day after.

Need a place to stay overnight and a daytrip diving package that is quite cheap. No frills for me, just need to see the good sites there. I inquired with a dive shop there but they told me it was P1,100 per dive!!! That's quite a lot.

Also need tips from those who exprienced diving in Moalboal.

Thanks in advance for the help!:D

Just a field report for the PPD divers on my Moalboal trip.

It was already late Saturday afternoon when I got to Pangasama beach after my saturation work in the Southern part of Cebu. At that time, I still didn’t know where I would be staying and went directly to Nelson’s dive shop to inquire about their dive rates. Unfortunately, Nelson was not around and so I asked one of his staff there regarding the prices and package. It was P1,100 per dive without food or snacks, quite pricy compared to diving in Anilao. So I was thinking that I could haggle my way into a cheaper rate and asked if I could talk to Nelson himself but they couldn’t contact him. So, next stop was Savedra Dive Center.
Last time I went to Moalboal with my friend, I had an intro dive with Savedra and so I’m quite comfortable diving with them. Their people are accommodating, professional, and helpful. Unfortunately, their rates are more surprising than Nelson’s. It’s a good thing that I immediately recognized the D.M. that did our intro-dive and he told the receptionist to give us better rates. One more thing, the D.M. was about to have a night dive and I was already itching to go underwater. And so after giving me the package, and with no other options (I have to dive early to finish around lunch the next day and go back to work) and no more time to canvass prices with the other dive shops. I decided to go with Savedra. Package was P5,000 for one night dive and 3 more dives the next day plus gear I had to rent (I brought my own bcd and regulator so I had to rent wetsuit, mask and fins). I just hope the price I paid wasn’t too much for my eagerness.
Now, for hotel rates. Eve’s kiosk beside Nelson’s was charging P1,500 for a room for 2 but I got mine for P800 for two and the room was nice. It was my supervisor who found the place and was able to talk the owner’s of Anthony’s inn... I think.
After my supervisor and I checked in the hotel, I went to Savedra for the dive plan and off I went to for the night dive... to be continued (Sorry guys, I’m leaving again for the province. Will continue my f.r. when I get back)

Gee... this sounds like the first installment of one of my trip reports..... :popcorn:

:D:DSorry for the long overdue f.r. guys. Been busy with work and was sent to other locations. Anyway here goes...

Temperature that night was 27 to 28 degrees centigrade, which was great, compared to the 25 degrees which we experienced in Anilao for the past few months. The dive-light rented out by Savedra was also in great condition and was all powered up making me more excited with the nightdive we were about to do. We entered the water at aroud 7:05pm and just a few minutes upon entry from shore, we immediately saw a small cuttlefish hovering near a patch of corals. The depth was less than 3 meters, as far as I remember. After huddling over the tiny cuttlefish for a few minutes an then spotting a flounder, we proceeded over the wall and descended slowly to going towards the left (donÃÕ really remember the direction and wasnÃÕ able to look at my compass) There were plenty of Macro (crabs and shrimps) spotted and if I had an UW camera at that time, I couldÃ×e enjoyed it more. We also spotted a black sea turle with 2 remoras underneath (IÃÎ not sure if that ÁÔ what you call it) in the darkness which came close to us and then slowly swam away . We also saw around 4 banded pipe fish in one of the crevices of the wall. Depth was around 16.7 meters and dive time was around 48 minuntes. In general, the night dive was great and the D.M. who accompanied us was okay making the dive better than usual.

The next day, I woke up early at dawn to prepare for the dive and here is where the problem and some disappointments started. Dive plan for the day was to start out with Pescador Island, Tongo point and another area, which I already forgot at this point in time. The boat allocation was already done and it was already listed on the white board of the dive shop. But when i was about to board the boat, a smart-ass Japanese went on the boat I was about to go up on and took the place of me and my d.m. Okay, I wasnÃÕ upset at that time since both boats were supposed to go to Pescador island anyway. So off we went wading to the other boat only to find out after 15 mins of waiting that the boat wouldnÃÕ start because the idiot boatman the day before didnÃÕ leave the rope to start the boat.:confused: This is the reason why that f*%#^ng Japanese stole my place in the other boat. :bash:Man, I was disapponted but they said that they'll just fix the trip so that I can dive Pescador after the first dive. So instead , we went on a shore dive.
Although a bit upset, the shore dive was okay and we saw a group of sardines upon entry and spotted massive green sea turtles twice thereafter. There was a mild current at our maximum depth of 40.2 meters and we also saw yellow frogfish in the middle of the dive. Water temp was arod 28 degrees centigrade at tha time.
After the dive, they told me that thereÃÔ no more trip to Pescador island. This was the point that I started complaining. One of my main focus in finding a way to dive Moalboal in between meetings was to dive Pescador island and they were about to cut that dive and I was about to get pissed. After insisting a few more times, they found a way to get me to the island on the third dive. But this got me in a lousy mood already.

Next dive, Tongo point. Corals at this site was good and they have a variety of hard and soft corals. I saw some baby barracudas, an octopus around a foot long in one of the crevices and sea turtles.

Pescador was our last dive and because this was the third dive already, I couldnÃÕ go as deep as i want to. They said there was a resident white tipshark, but of course I wasnÃÕ be able to see it anymore because I couldnÃÕ stay at depth for a long time. So in other words no shark for me that day. WhatÃÔ unique about this site was a cave they called disco... I think. The terrain was nice and the only unique creature there was large blue frogfish, and a large lapu-lapu. Wish i couldÃ×e seen a lot more though.

Generally, the services and package of Savedra was good but the dive couldÃ×e been better without the stress. I also could've seen a lot more if the plan was followed. If you were to ask me, i still would go back to Moalboal because thereÃÔ a lot more to be seen and would dive Savedra again. Thanks for the patience and sorry for the late f.r. again.

By the way, thanks for the help Jigo , Gen San Chris, Chip and Cebu dive Center. Looking for a place there wouldÃ×e been harder without your help.

That's all folks.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom