Home built spear gun. [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Home built spear gun.

Sponsored Link
Mr.Bubbles
August 6th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Any one know there to get plans for a home built spear gun?

egg007
August 6th, 2001, 08:32 PM
With so many cheap searguns out there why waste time making one , spend the time shooting the fish. Get a small 42" they are good for 10-15 lb of fish. Cost $39-99.

Mr.Bubbles
August 6th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Why should I buy it when I have the ability to make one?

JSC
August 6th, 2001, 10:15 PM
On a similar subject what do people use to ship their spear guns on the plane with them? I travel quite extensively between Boston and New Orleans and I like to go spear fishing in both places. I have a couple guns, the largest being the JBL 450XHD about 66" long. I donít like to put them in a box and would prefer a carrying case. I have looked at Pelican cases and rifle cases but they are too short even if I dissemble the gun.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also recommend buying the gun it is typically easier and probably cheaper, unless you just want the challenge.

Good Hunting
JSC

Mr.Bubbles
August 6th, 2001, 11:41 PM
Im a machinist and I like to make stuff. So why not a spear gun. just need some idear how to go buy doing it.

rcohn
August 6th, 2001, 11:49 PM
a couple of links:

http://members.nbci.com/spearguns/
http://www.2xtreme.net/kbickel/guns/guns.html

Ralph

Warhammer
August 7th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JSC
On a similar subject what do people use to ship their spear guns on the plane with them? I travel quite extensively between Boston and New Orleans and I like to go spear fishing in both places. I have a couple guns, the largest being the JBL 450XHD about 66" long. I donít like to put them in a box and would prefer a carrying case. I have looked at Pelican cases and rifle cases but they are too short even if I dissemble the gun.

I also recommend buying the gun it is typically easier and probably cheaper, unless you just want the challenge.

Good Hunting
JSC

Why not buy a rifle case (as in gun case) for it? You can pick them up most anywhere for a reasonable price.

JSC
August 7th, 2001, 01:35 AM
I thank you for the suggestion, I have looked at many rifle cases but the spear guns were too long (approx 66Ē). Do you know of a manufacture that makes a case that will accommodate the length? I have talked to a few gun dealers who said I needed a case for 50-caliber sniper rifle and they could get me one by special ordering it; however, it will be aluminum. I am in Louisiana so I am not sure if I will get the gun with it or not:). I would like plastic do reduce the weight and the sharp edges as I assume I will drop it on my self (at least once) and bang stuff with it.

JSC

Swamp Rat
August 7th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Hard shell gun cases are normaly around 52-54" max. Do you have a hack saw? Let me look around and see what I can find for you. If you like any other hunter I know you need an excuse to by Another gun. Just buy one less than 53".

Swamp Rat
August 7th, 2001, 09:57 AM
I thought that maybe a black powder gun case would be long enough but I only found 62"x12" there. 50cal. case was 60" long and $269.

rcohn
August 7th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Some guys buy PVC pipe at a hardware store and screw endcaps on, add a handle and you have a case for shipping.

I've also heard of snowboard cases being used.

Ralph

Warhammer
August 7th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by JSC
I am in Louisiana so I am not sure if I will get the gun with it or not:).

JSC

LOL!! Maybe so. :) The only other idea I have would be for you to get a good woodworker/cabinetmaker to make you one out of wood. But it too would be heavier than plastic. Or maybe a millright to do one out of billet aluminum. I can't think of anyone that does custom plastic work. Looks like the speargun manufactors would be making something.

JSC
August 7th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am considering buying another gun but it would probably be a few inches longer :). However I have found two companies that are going to quote me custom ABS plastic cases. I will let you know if it is reasonable or if would be cheaper just to buy my own jet :).

Thanks again,

JSC

divernva
August 7th, 2001, 04:49 PM
For ~$120 you can get the "expandable" ski tubes. The ABS tubes elongate to accommodate skis of different lengths. The tubes come in a single size and a larger size to accommodate two sets of skis. You'll probably want some padding to wrap the gun before putting into the case... I use foam camping mats (~$5) to protect my skis.

Hope this helps. I'll try to provide some links.

DEEP SEA
August 20th, 2001, 12:04 AM
I use to spear fish and have seen a lot that can go wrong with spear guns. The amount of pressure the bands put on the trigger is amazing. They can wear out fast and become extremely dangerous. I have seen them go off when the safety was released as well as impossible to pull the trigger after the bands are in place.

Spear guy manufactures have gone through the learning curve. You would have to know which parts to harden and how to polish your trigger. If you are bent on building one, buy the trigger assembly from a dealer and build around it.

DANGER - :nono: I seen a guy cut his leg to the bone from using the wrong material for the main body. As he was securing his last of 3 bans the force was too much for the body, it bent and shoved jagged metal into his leg. If you don't know, you typically put the butt of the gun on your leg to hold it in place and pull the bans down to the slots. Also, don't load them out of the water - not safe.

Good luck.

zeN||
July 29th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Sounds like you have all the experience you need to research making your own gun, in the early days people usually did make their own guns. The trigger system is one of the more critical parts, as dysfunctions can cause serious injuries, as I'm sure you can imagine. There are a number of articles on the web re: spearguns. As someone who shoots regularly I am pleasantly suprised to find out that in general, even with all our technology the rubber band guns are still some of the best guns for spearfishing, with the right tip you can even kill all the carps that are trying to tell you you cannot build your own gun:) zeN||

KYDan
July 29th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Of course it can be home made. I'll make my first attempt at attaching a photo. If it works you'll see a vintage (1956) spear fisherman and his gear of choice. Obviously home made.

In Kentucky we also tend to make the beverage ourselves, too!

KY Dan

KYDan
July 29th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Sorry it didn't seem to work. I'll research more.

KYD

KYDan
July 29th, 2003, 09:03 AM
I'll upload the photo to an FTP site sometime soon, so it can be <href'ed> from there. In the meantime, PM me if you want a copy of the photo.

KYD

defofthecrown
August 5th, 2003, 09:34 PM
As far as gun bags go they make padded speargun bags for any length gun. Just search for any website that specializes in spearfishing/freediving. (Hanapaa hawaii, pirate scuba, blue ater hunter, nor cal freedive etc). I think they start around 75- or so, cheaper than rifle cases/

These sites will also have info for building your own guns. Most people who make there own build teak guns. You could make an alluminum or stainless tube gun as well, but a teak mid-handle might be just what the Dr. ordered for rig diving down south.

It's easy to pick up trigger mechs for a wood gun and the main ones all rate really well for loads before failure. There's a ton of info about this sort of thing on deeperblue.net in the forums. Good luck.

montereydivemas
August 6th, 2003, 08:27 PM
silly

i have caught 30 halibut in the time it took you to put up this post

martian
August 21st, 2003, 01:37 PM
Mr. Bubbles-
What materials were you planning on using for your gun? Were you going to buy a trigger or design your own?

stewbailey
September 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM
When I travel I place my spear gun in a 4" PVC tube with two end caps. I utilize tape to secure one of the ends and glue on the other end to the desired length. I have never had a problem shipping them. My friend Erik said that they required him to put locks on his. So his has a similar rig with a hasp mounted on it from a local hardware store. This is a simple, cheep safe way to ship your spear guns, happy hunting.
Stewart D Bailey

Good Hunting
JSC

Wayward Son
September 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM
There are some people who make their own guns on www.spearboard.com

Look the the "All About Guns" forum.

stewbailey
September 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Why not buy a rifle case (as in gun case) for it? You can pick them up most anywhere for a reasonable price.

I have found that you can just use a piece of 4" PVC with one end cap glued on and the other end you can put a threaded cuplink with a cap or just a normal glue on cap taped on. You can even attached locks to it with a simple clasp and some small screws ( you will have to pre drill your holes so you dont split the pipe or cap.

TwoBitTxn
September 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
How do people keep dredging up 3 and 4 y/o threads?

TwoBit

stewbailey
September 14th, 2005, 09:38 AM
How do people keep dredging up 3 and 4 y/o threads?

TwoBit

I was searching for information on how to build a spear gun, then I noticed a question I had an answer to in the same thread. I however did not notice the date in the upper left hand corner which caused this three year old thread to be rejuvinated. (I'm new to the site.)

Stewart D Bailey

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1