Boston Sea Rovers Expo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augk

Contributor
Reaction score
Boston Sea Rovers
March 7th & 8th
Just Curious if anyone is planing on going to this event or might have input about previous events. I.E. did you like the show? Seems like something has always come up on or near to the date of the show for me for the past few years. So I have yet to attend one.

It's worth going to for the presentations, I may go Saturday if the mood strikes me that day. See the exhibitors if you go, but don't go just for that it's not all that great. My husband has taken a few very good photo workshops there in past years. We've done the film fest a couple times but don't bother anymore, IMO talk to film ratio is way too high.

I'm planning to go Saturday for the daytime speakers. It has been a few years, but the last time I went I found most of the speakers to be very informative and entertaining. I noticed at least one repeat presenter from the last time I went, Greg Skomal, who I'd recommend checking out. He gave a very entertaining presentation.

As for the exhibitors, I tend to agree with Damselfish. Its worth a spin through the room if you are there, but generally it's not worth going for that alone.

I can't comment on the film festival as I have never gone to that.

The film festival is usually the highlight of the show for me... when I catch it. Lately, I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the daytime presentations though, and have been more workshop-oriented in the past couple of years. If I go this time around, it'll probably be for the "finding shipwrecks" workshop.

My goal is to go on Saturday and catch the ancient shipwrecks in the Aegean by Brendan Foley.

and maybe the movie.

I was looking at Sundays schedule and it appears they've got some good speakers on that day too ;-)

I'm sorry I'm going to miss your talk. I guess I'll have to force Ed to let me watch the video.....

New price: $10

Saturday was pretty good. I didn't go today. Several of the talks I went to were standing room only so the turnout was good.

Ethan Gordon gave a very helpful talk on tricks for digital photography (too bad I flooded my camera last summer so I can't take advantage of it). Greg Skomal gave a very entertaining talk on sharks in New England, I think he's probably the best overall public speaker there.

Also of note, since it was a hot topic here a while back, Matt Lawrence of the Stellawagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary talked about the diving opportunities in the sanctuary. I didn't see any indication they are trying to lock divers out of the sanctuary as some people are fearing. He even gave up the GPS numbers for an unidentified wreck they just found so people could dive it and said something like "Hopefully one of you will dive this and be able to identify it." So if anything I got the impression that they are trying to reach out to divers rather than exclude them as some people feared. He said a new version of their management plan that incorporates a lot of the feedback the received from divers will be coming out in a few months.

The exhibitor floor had some interesting things. Boston Harbor Diving Company had a booth so I finally got to meet Jim and Pat, very friendly guys, I can see why they have such a good reputation around here. I also got to play with the Dive Rite LED canister lights.... luckily they weren't selling them or I might have accidently purchased one and then been killed by my fiance. :D

And of course, I got to see lots of dive buddies there and spend a whole day talking about diving which is what it is really all about!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom