Speeding muscle recovery time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am trying to build some leg muscles by doing light lifting and cardio, though it seems like my muscles feel fatigued for days and days after doing this. Is there any sort of food or supplement that anyone can recommend to speed up the time it takes for the muscles to rebuild themselves so I am not fatigued when I go diving?

Thanks.

I used to take creatine pills after I worked out so that way i can put more water into the muscles and made me very thirsty which in my opinion helped with recovery time. And you already know some protein and lots of salad.

I used to take creatine pills after I worked out so that way i can put more water into the muscles and made me very thirsty which in my opinion helped with recovery time. And you already know some protein and lots of salad.

Ok, protein I get, but why salad??

Salad as a filler. It prevents me to get a big craving and salad breaks down very slowly. Especially, eating steaks after work out can time consuming and expensive which is why I eat salad. In my opinion, salad is much more entertaining than eating tuna with a little mayo, the cheaper alternative. Same with those whey shakes gets, expensive, too.

Couple of things that can help.

I like to drink a 4:1 Carb-Protein drink in the "Golden Hour" right after workout... I hear that within 30 minutes is better. Supposed to help the ?glycogen uptake for quicker recovery.... especially good after more endurance type activities. I used this successfully for multiple days of cycling, and I drink this immediately after lifting workouts now too. Oh... and I drink a half-portion of this same 4:1 drink about 30 minutes before the workout too, to begin recovery as soon as possible.

About an hour after the workout, I've been drinking a protein shake that is about 60 grams, and follow with plenty of water the remainder of the day (?to ease protein loading on the kidneys).

I know I need to work the timing of the protein drink better, since I'm just "playing that one by ear", but so far the recovery pace has been pretty good, especially for being in my 40's. I'm willing to read more research/articles on this though to aid the recovery/rebuild process.

Personally, I avoid the creatine products. Yes, the extra water can be great for reducing impact on joints and such, but it leaves me extremely bloated and very testy/bitchy, so I just stay away from the product. No question I was intense when I used it, but I happen to like the relationship I'm in, and want to keep it. LOL :)

The proteins and supplements are good if your trying to build up muscle, but for fatigue days later... eat pasta. Might not be low fat, high protein or have chemically enhanced muscle builders, BUT... muscles burn glycogen that they store in their fibers, heavy exercise depletes this glycogen and it takes 3 days or more to replace. No supplement can change that, no pill can speed it up. So eat well, enjoy your workout, and if your still tired days later re-evaluate your limits and workout within them.

good luck!
Eric

I am trying to build some leg muscles by doing light lifting and cardio, though it seems like my muscles feel fatigued for days and days after doing this. Is there any sort of food or supplement that anyone can recommend to speed up the time it takes for the muscles to rebuild themselves so I am not fatigued when I go diving?

Thanks.
I'll take a hit on this but here goes: Your leg muscles are fatigued for days and days after light lifting. You're needing to lift heavier weight occasionally. I had the same problem. I was doing squats and leg presses and my legs felt like rubber for days and were sore. A buddy (prior Marine, current athlete) told me to use more weight to make them stronger, (Pain is weakness leaving the body). So, I changed from 4 sets-10 to 12 reps in each exercise (Squats-270lbs, Leg press-500lbs.) For presses; I went to 3 sets- 8-10 reps at 600lbs to start and have now worked up to 765 lbs. I couldn't have imagined doing that weight. My legs are useless for about 4 hours after my workout (no jumping or running, but I can walk) Moderately sore the next day, and almost nothing after that. My squats were the same numbers, but; upped the weights to 320lbs originally and I went up to 365lbs now. Not as big gains in the squats. My back and knees at 52 yrs. just aren't that happy with the motion.:D Anyway, thats what I did and it worked for me. I only do the heavy weight every 3rd week. I'm between my original workout and the heavy the rest of the time. These gains were made in 6-7 months. You may be well above these weights, but the routine/method may help. The advice from everyone on the protein is good. I like the "Muscle Milk" brand. It doesn't taste like cardboard as most of the others do. :coffee:

I have been taking the following supplements: Dark Rage as my pre-workout supp and Dark Matter as my post workout supp. The energy to sustain such an intense workout that I get from the Dark Rage is nothing short of phenomenal! I can thank the Dark Matter for no (minimal if any) soreness during recovery time. You'll quickly find the worst thing about each is taste (Dark Rage) and texture (Dark Matter) but both are tolerable. Do some research and you'll find several reviews on both. I am convinced they have both had a very profound effect on my pre and post workout periods!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom