Diving Locations in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L81BB4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone heard of Nine Foot Stake, or Toppino's Reef? coordinates would be awesome.
I've been told these two are good places for snorkeling/diving, and also good places to do some spearfishing or lobstering.

any help would be awesome.

Nine foot stake - 24.28.285 / 81.45.802

Be careful of lots of boats if you are going private. It's shallow for snorkeling, but I haven't been there in a long time and you need to check at the docks what rules for spearing are there.

There's alot better stuff south of there, but those are a secret.

Have a great time on your vacation!

Thanks for the coordinates Johnoly. How crowded does it get at nine foot stake during the week?
I'm going to be in Key west during spring break and may be on the water for a day or two. I heard you can spear and lobster here also.

How crowded does it get at nine foot stake during the week?

It's been 3-4 years since I dove there, but it was mostly hook and line boats. You are only a couple of miles offshore so it's a popular reef. The coordinates above are just what I had marked for the spot, It's a reef line and with a good bottom finder, you should be able to move north and south to find schools of fish to show up on the electronics.

Since you will be in Key West, stop in on my friend Mike at DiverCity at 1121 Dual St. You can email him in advance at " divercitykw@yahoo.com ". Mike will be able to give you up to date viz, currrents, temps and fish reports for you and will be very happy to help you out in any way he can. He'll just want you to shoot fish and have fun.

I'm going to be in Key west during spring break and may be on the water for a day or two. I heard you can spear and lobster here also.

Just make sure you're not spearing the lobsters!

Ken

I second what Johnoly said. Check with Mike. I don't think you want to spear/lobster at 9 ft stake or Toppino marker. Much too crowded.

Hey Johnoly,

I checked out those coordinates on a GPS, and they seem to be located quite a ways from Key West, more then 10 miles and the depth of that area is in the hundreds. I thought Nine foot stake was about 7 miles south east of key west, and in 20-30ft waters? I also thought it was 1 mile west of the #1 marker buoy.

L81,
Nine foot is SE of KW harbor. It is on the edge of the first reef. Your depth is about right, depending upon which direction you go from the stake. Because of the depth, it is a popular spot for day boats to dump their cattle, especially on second dives. If you head south, depth drops off into a trench, and then up onto a second reef--the bar.

Hey Johnoly,

I checked out those coordinates on a GPS.

You'll need a depth finder to locate the reef, but I'm very confident on my numbers. I also dug out my " Teall's Guide " and it verifies my numbers are accurate.

If you are using an online GPS map like google earth or similar, I had less than stellar results from them. I guess they don't want to point and click on something important like the White House and get pinpoint accuracy.

I have a garmin handheld GPS with a bluechart chip in it for South Florida, and when i was taking a look at those coordinates, i ended up in some really deep water. I guess i will check it out when I get there. Thanks again for the coordinates.
Am I allowed to anchor up near the reefs? I'm not sure but I heard that if you can anchor in the sand its ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom