Dive report for Lake Huron?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommygun53

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has been to Lake Huron in the Sanilac area recently, I will be diving there on the sport and the regina on 5/17/03 and I will be in a 7mm wet braving the cold waters.If anyone knows what the current conditions like vis and water temp(surface and at depth)I would greatly appreciate it. This will be my first great lakes dive!I am going with a group from Aquatic Adventures of Michigan in Howell,Michigan.I wanted to get my drysuit class done before we went but didnt have time due to my work schedule.:cold: :cold:

Thanks LD,

I appreciate that!

BUT I dont like the look of those frigid surface temps.

I thought for sure that area would be in the 45-50 degree range , maybe I should rethink this one?

I dove Lake Fenton about 3 weeks ago and the surface temp was around 40. A week later, with a different wind direction, the surface was 50. The difference, even in my drysuit was very noticable. On the first dive on the second trip, my drysuit dryhood was leaking around the seal and I really didn't notice until I had water in my ear.

We're going to Tobermorey in the middle of June. I hope the water is a 'little' warmer by then.....

Those temps will be tough in a 7mm. Heat packs might help, if you have 'em. Pre-warming with hot water is another idea.

Best suggestion would be to get used to that dry suit quick.

Hey guys Im just gonna go out there and dive in my 7mm,I guess ill just call it a learning experience ,then ill know next time ,right ?

I was in Lake Fenton 2 weeks ago and I got 51degrees at the mine cart in 31 ft, now that was no prob in my 7mm.Our LDS is doing a different local lake evry wednesday for free,they only ask for a contribution for DAN thats all.5/14/03 were doing a fund raising for Livingston county Sherriffs dept Its a first for me..It is a Golf Ball Dive in a Pond at one of the local Golf courses HEHEHAHAHA That will be different!! Muck diving at its finest.
LakesDiver I have never heard of using heat packs?What kind and where would you put them?Wouldnt they rupture from the pressure?I will be using hot water for sure in Sanilac.

Thanks guys, Tom

Heat packs are "rechargeable", sealed packets (differing sizes) that generate heat when a button on the pack is pressed. I don't know the physics of them. A friend of mine used them extensively and swore by them (until he got his dry suit). After 6-7 years they're still usable. They're recharged by boiling them in water until the material inside liquifies. You stick 'em inside your wetsuit to warm the water layer. My friend used to wrap them in a thin hand towel because they got so warm. And, no, the pressure didn't rupture them.

Your local LDS should have them, or know what I'm talking about.

'Course if you're going dry soon, it might not be worth the money.

Remember, this weekend, about evaporation. Get out of that suit and get dry/warm between dives or you'll lose more core temp.

You'll have a good time. The Sport is a fun dive. The Regina very cool, but, since it's upside down, be careful poking around underneath.

Enjoy.

Hey Tom

If you wait till summer the thermocline will be at the bottom on the Regina. It was a bit different being down 80' and actually seeing the water temp changing. As far as the heat packs they work well. I have a dry suit and use the disposable heat packs but do have some of the ones described. And don't fret it. I will be in Isle Royale for a week in June/July and the water will be around 36 deg's at depth.

What charter are you using up in Sanilac? We have used Garry B. before. He is a nice guy. He also has found most of the wrecks in that area and can help you find all of the highlights.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Well I am officially a great lakes diver now! We did the Sport and the Eliza Strong.Temps were at 41 degrees on the sport and 44 on the strong. My profile was 42ft for 17 min then 22 ft for 23 min with a 1 hour SI My body or feet didnt get cold,It was my fingers that got numb and I just couldnt take it anymore..I think ill look for some thicker gloves Ive heard that bare makes a 7mm glove but I think its a 3-finger type but that wouldnt bother me at all. I think ill just stay in my 7mm for a while longer.I tried on a semi-dry at my LDS yesterday and man what a chore that was to get on ,Is there a secret im missing here ? Should I had worn a skin first before I tried it on? Vis was spectacular at between 50-60 ft. I cant wait to do the Regina in the summer! Hey and I didnt even scream when I hit the water,LOL Oh yeah we did go out with Garry and I will definately go out on his boat again,but I have a question for all of you...When you go out on a charter with a group like this should you tip the captain ? This is common practice on a liveaboard but im not sure on a charter boat or would it be up to the LDS your going with?

Tom:yes:

Ooooh, Jeff, I'm so jealous. Did Isle Royale a couple of years ago and it was great. We all really enjoyed the diving and the island. Just haven't been able to get back there. Do post a trip report so I can live vicariously. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom