Narcosis Managing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow divers! I have been interested in what training / techniques are out there for narcosis management? I know this can be a very slippery slope but have heard that there are some instructors who offer some training. Just thought I would ask to hopefully learn a little more. I understand what it is and why it happens as covered in earlier threads. I also understand it can be different from person to person / dive to dive. I appreciate your responses and thank you for your time!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....keep learning!

The biggest thing is that it is different from person to person, i know some people that have no idea what is happening with them sometimes, the thing that i do is to just relax and focus, the shop i work for requires in our master diver course that each student goes into a chamber to experience nitrogen narcosis in a controlled environment. I did this last year, what a riot, they have little games for everyone to try, unlocking a lock, dropping ball bearings into a tube with tweezers. People from the outside just hear laughing the whole time. As for managing narcosis like i said i just relax and focus. You just realize that this is something you have to deal with and once you do a lot of deep dives you tend to realize it is happening more to you.

I had an overwhelming narc once - so I play with the edge to learn how to function. Will drop down about 26m then slowly inch below watching my computer, practicing functions such as photography, interacting with other divers, fine tune buoyancy, etc. Usually feel narc around 30 meters, so have dropped 2-3 meters at a time below this point on different dives, paying close attention to everything (including my attention span & desire to go deeper) and learning to relax and follow dive plans.

I cautiously trained a little at a time, getting use to the body & understanding the mental impairment by attempting different tasks. It's kind of like learning how to function when you are drunk - it seems to be mind discipline. Having a trusted partner really helps.

I'm not sure there is a lot one can do to Manage narcosis, other than Trimix. I've read that getting drunk on a regular basis may HELP manage the feeling of being inebriated, and functional. :D

I've been narced, and not even realized it. I was at 110', and had to cut a buddy out of an entanglement. I managed to do all that, but then could NOT get my knife back in the sheath. I did, but it took me more time that it should have. I realized at that point, I was narced!

I think the more you dive deep, the more you get used to being narced. However there is IMO no real way to *manage* that, or predict how it may impact one's ability to do tasks.

If you plan on doing much in the way of deep diving, get ready for some tech training, and Helium!

There are basically three ways to handle narcosis. For CO2 narcosis you can stop activity, take a few slow, deep breaths and relax. The narcosis goes away as fast as it came on. For nitrogen narcosis you can either ascend as needed until you feel better or add helium to your mix.

I think the best thing you can do is practice your skills in shallow water (like 10 or 20ft) until they're rock solid. That way, should you be diving deep and need to share air, replace a dislodged mask, use a reel or whatever the task may be then at least you're more reliant on muscle memory than narcosis-fuzzed thinking.

To summarise/add, these may help, in no particular order:

1. Hydrate
2. Dive deep incrementally
3. Descend slowly
4. Gain experience at depth
5. Reduce workload
6. Reduce task loading
7. Know your equipment
8. Be aware you're narc'd
9. Have a good buddy
11. Remember how to count

IMHO, it's a matter of how badly you get it and how you deal with it

Greetings again divers and thank you for all the information!
I have already completed my deep dive specialty and logged a few deep dives.
In these dives only two come to mind that narcosis pushed the envelope a little.
Both dives I was under finned and suffered the Co2 narc spoke of in earlier thread.
It diminished as soon as it came by relaxing and gaining solid breathing control.
I am currently training to do some deeper wreck dives in the Great Lakes thus my goal of 25 dives over a 100' for 2009. I am a evolving diver that has come to adopt the DIR philosophy. I dive doubles on dives over 60' and try to cover all bases, hang bottles, emergency plans etc.
The earlier two threads jarred my memory a bit and last summer heard or over-heard talk of a narcosis management class. At the time I thought as I am sure some of you have, "What would that be?" But for some reason I did not blusster into the conversation.
I like the mental tests that have been mentioned. When at what ever depth or dive we have trouble reasoning and making good judgements we are in trouble! Via..Good Buddy! Not reached this point and do not care to! Thus my increased desire for more ideas, skills, tests, etc. Please feel free to keep the information coming. I appreciate all of it! Thanks to all once again.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Well there are really only three things that can manage it.

1. Trimix
2. Trimix
3. Trimix

Well I guess there is diving shallow but who wants to do that!

People with a LOT more experience than me repeatedly diving deep on air and managing narcosis have died because of it.

The thing about being narced, you can manage it with practice and experience, until something goes wrong. When a person isn't narced and things start going south, there is a major tendency toward narrowing perception and thought, and keeping the mind under control is difficult for most at best. Now try it narced. A little bit of adrenalin, a little panic, a little increased heart rate/breathing means increased co2 levels, and the intensity of narcosis will skyrocket from just a buzz to incapacitating. And the thing about narcosis is, it only happens deep - the last place you want it.

And then add in the fact that it is easily preventable with a little HE. There is just no reason to risk it.

I am however, a hypocrite. I have have done, and will probably do again, 150' deco dives in warm clear easy water on air. The hope is that all the redundant training and muscle memory will kick in. But I do acknowledge the truth of the risks.

Back
Top Bottom