Tubbataha/El Nido/Coron/Anilao April 15-5 May 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Time is approaching for my 4th Philippines trip in two years :)

It could very possibly be my last trip for a while (might squeeze in one more). I'll be transferring back to the US in January 2010. It wasn't what I wanted or planned on, but life doesn't always work out the way we plan or want :depressed:

This trip I'll be headed to Palawan and Tubbataha. The plan now is too fly Tokyo to Manila on Wednesday, April 15th. I'll stay in Manila overnight, then fly to Puerto Princesa the next morning.

I'm going to try and get a few dives in on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I've been looking at Island Divers in Puerto Princesa main

They seem like a good place, and answered my email promptly. Anyone have experience with them? I should be able to get at least 4 dives in before the boat leaves on Friday evening :D I'd be interested in recommendations for any other dive shops in the Puerto Princesa, that people have experience with and would like to recommend.

Tubbataha will be onboard the M/Y Southern Cruise. Here's a link on the trip: DEEP OUTDOORS - Tubbataha Dive Safari 2009 We'll depart Puerto Princesa on Friday, April 17th and return on Wednesday, April 22nd.

Tubbataha has been one of the top places I've wanted to dive since I became aware of the enormous potential of the Philippines as a dive destination a year and a half ago. It's being accessible only March-June can make scheduling more of a challenge. I was unable to go last year. For more info on Tubbataha here is a link to their official site, which also has some great photography Official Website of Tubbataha Reefs

I had considered going straight to Coron from Puerto Princesa. Seems the only flight I can get to Coron on a Wednesday is a lot more money than it's worth :shakehead:

Now I'm planning to take the bus to El Nido. I should arrive late on Wednesday. this will give me one dive day on Thursday. I'm certainly open to any suggestions for a dive operator and place to stay in El Nido. I haven't nailed that down yet. Also like to hear about any "must see/do" things in El Nido when you only have two nights and one day :)

On Friday, I plan on taking a boat from El Nido to Coron. The boat goes directly to the Sea Dive pier. Which is very conveient since I'm planning on diving with and staying at Sea Dive while I'm in Coron. Here's a link to their website: Sea Dive Resort, Coron, Palawan; Philippines' best wreck diving I hope to be there early enough to get a couple of dives on Friday. I plan on diving through Wednesday morning, then fly back to Manila on Thursday, April 30th.

I'll transfer to Anilao on Thursday evening after my flight arrives so I can get a full dive day on Friday. I plan to dive Anilao Friday-Monday morning. Everyone who is a regular here knows that I was very impressed with Club Ocellaris Club Ocellaris - Just another WordPress weblog when I dived Anilao last June :) However since I'm going to be there on a weekend this time, I'm certainly open to going where ever the group would like to go, if anyone would like to join me in Anilao :)

I'll transfer back to Manila on Monday, May 4th and then depart at the end of my 21 day visa on Tuesday, May 5th.

So as always, when I'm getting ready to actually go, I like to post here for comments and suggestions from the panel of experts here on scubaboard, just in case I need to tweak my plan or re-think anything before I get there :) I'm a "budget" traveler for the most part, although I don't mind splurging from time to time because after all, I am on vacation :)

Well as comments go, how about "You luckyb@stard!!!!":D:D:D:D:D:D Bill, it sounds like an awesome trip plan and I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you're going to have a great time! I can't wait to read the trip report!:coffee:

Cheers!

Bill, if i am free that weekend, i would want to try diving with club O.

Wish I could join you on this one, Bill... especially since it may be your last trip to the Philippines for a while. However, hopefully we will dive the kelp forests together stateside.

Bill, if i am free that weekend, i would want to try diving with club O.

Sounds great :) I really like Club Ocellaris, but like I said if the group would rather go somewhere else, I'm not opposed to it.

Or, I can talk to Boy Venus about the possibility of a group rate??? What does everyone think about that?

Wish I could join you on this one, Bill... especially since it may be your last trip to the Philippines for a while. However, hopefully we will dive the kelp forests together stateside.

Yes, I was sorry that you couldn't make it this time. Would have been nice to have done some diving with you :sad:

I've been told that I'm likely to end up on the west coast. Considering the current ecomomic climate, I don't think they will want to pay to move me all the way to the east coast... Of course given the current economic climate, I don't understand why they won't just let me stay here and finish out my time, as I'll have less than two years left when I get back.

I've heard California compared to Japan. What do you think.... should I hold on to my drysuit? :wink:

Well as comments go, how about "You luckyb@stard!!!!":D:D:D:D:D:D Bill, it sounds like an awesome trip plan and I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you're going to have a great time! I can't wait to read the trip report!:coffee:

Cheers!

Thank! If I have enough allowance, I may take my laptop this time. That will give me a headstart on the trip report. Also now that I have Photoshop Lightroom, I can process my images a lot quicker :)

The bad news is that the boat I was going to do the Tubbataha portion of my trip is not available now, due to "technical difficulties".

The good news is that they found another boat for me :) The main change at the moment is that I'll now be going on the Borneo Explorer borneo_explorer - Liveaboard Scuba Diving in the Philippines and Palau . My new dates for Tubbataha are 19-26 April. The rest of the trip, I'm still figuring out. The good thing is that this trip will give me two extra dive days at Tubbataha :D

I'm looking at possibly doing Anilao at the beginning of the trip now, since I won't have time at the end. It may not be cost effective to do so. I'm still exploring that. The other possibility is to cancel Anilao completely, go to Puerto Princesa as originally planned and dive that area while waiting for the boat to go to Tubbataha on the 19th.

I may not be able to go to El Nido until the 27th because of the bus schedule. That gives me maybe 1 or 2 dives in El Nido before catching the boat to Coron on the 28th. I should have at least 4 dive days in Coron. I'll head back to Manila either late on the 3rd or early on the 4th. Relax for a day and then back to Japan on the 5th.

Not the trip I originally planned... but with the two extra days in Tubbataha I'm not complaining :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom