Zeagle Scout, Escape, Aeris Atmos XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scott_satx

Reaction score
hi, i'm new to the board. I recently got my certification and love diving. i'm stuck on one thing. which bcd to get. i've narrowed it down to the three above, Zeagle Scout, Escape, or Aeris Atmos XT. i've tried out the Atmos XT and Escape and know what to expect from those, but the price of the Scout is very apealing.

The one concern i have with the Scout is the lack of proper description of the integrated weight system. Can you get it with the ripcord system? does it have a standard pull out weight system like the Aeris does? Like i said, the price is right, but i just want to know more about since my LDS doesn't have one. thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Board.

I have one of the basic Scouts. The standard weight intergration is a little strange. It consists of 2 pouches located on the rear of the BC beside the tank, like the trim weight pouches on a lot of new BC's. They are dumpable and are susposed to hold up to 15lbs each. To dump them, you have to reach around behind you and pull 2 tabs that open velcro fasteners. I find that any more than about 8 lbs (4 each side) tends to screw up my trim but as I got the Scout for warm water I don't need anymore than 6 lbs so it works great for me. I understand that as an option, you can get the ripcord system added to it or you can always wear a weightbelt. If this is your first BC and your primary BC, I think I would go ahead and get the Escape. I suspect that if you get the ripcord option, the price will be about the same. In general, the Zeagles are high quality and well built. I like my Scout. There has been some discussion on the Scout here on the board over the last year or so, do a keyword search to find those discussions.

I love my Scout. I bought it just as I was finishing my OW course and have dove about 36 dives now. I use the ripcord pouches for weights in the cumberbund pockets. I tried the tank pouches but didn't like how it felt. The ripcord pouches are usually extra but ask your LDS if they'll through them in free for you. Mine did.

The only issue I had was with the bungee system. When the BC was fully deflated and I was swimming horizontally, my bubbles were getting trapped and the bungees were making little parachute pockets and that was giving me problems on my safety stop. Once the bungees came off, no problems. The wings flap around a little but the bouyancy control has been much better for me bungeeless.

The Scout is a great, lightweight but very sturdy built BC. Good for travelling. The only thing it doesn't have is lots of rings and/or pockets for gadgets. If you like to carry lots of stuff or camera accessories, you may find that it doesn't accommodate.

Had a fancy "tech rig" and hated then I bought the scout. Part of the reason for the Scout is because I didn't want intergrated weights. I use the trim pockets on the back for trim weight (usually about a third of the total with an aluminum tank) and a weight belt. It works well. There are two flat pockets for minimal stuff so if pockets is a big thing the Scout won't score high. It is small, packs easy and costs very little. It works. Why spend more? The only upgrade I have ever considered is a back plate and wing which should be an easy transition. :)

Zeagle has accessory pockets available. You unclip the shoulder strap(s) and slide the pocket's loop over the waistband, then reattach the shoulder strap. The pockets are zippered with drain mesh around the perimeter.

I like the light weight, price, two tank bands, quality construction, 4 "D" rings and compact packing size of this BC.

I don't like the lower air release positioned on the lower left side. I also found the that the bladder bungies could, at times, force all of my buoyancy air into one side of the air chamber.

I use a weight belt and the integrated pockets on the back. Had a little surprise diving in Cozumel last time though. Our dive operater provided us with steel 120's. With weights in the integrated back pouches I could float on my back really well. However with this setup I could also descend on my back really well. So I went purely to a weight belt, with very little weight thanks to that negative tank.

Back
Top Bottom