Sonar dive tracking system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jawmendr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just ordered the Sport Dive Tracker system from Desert Star LLC. This is the higer end sonar tracking system for sport divers. I would appreciate any comments on use and reliability from those of you that have one or has used one. I saw at least one thread several months ago.

Thanks

I have the same units and they work excellently. They are excellent with new divers on night dives to improve their comfort level on finding their way back to the boat. I also use them to teach the navigation and search and recovery courses as 1 option of available tools that can be utilized. I also use them with new open water students doing their 1st couple of very low viz diving to keep track of their buddies. You give each one a receiver and transmitter set to different frequencys and then if they wander a little they can easily correct the dive without any extra stress. Overall they make a nice teaching and confidence building tool but you don't want to become dependent upon them only.

I was actually thinking of purchasing one of these units. Please let us know how it goes for you...

My father-in-law recently got one and we used it in Boinaire. I posted a short write-up on it in the Desert Star Forum.

Basically, I agree with allistoy. The unit is really handy on night dives. The Sport really helped my wife become more comfortable on night dives. We also practiced using it on several daytime dives and found it to be pretty accurate. The unit is user friendly an the high/ low switch seemed to help a lot with distance. I did not work with the device enough to get a good feel for estimating distance, but the directional LED display worked really well. We always ended up right on the transmitter, but that was in tropical water with good visibility.

As allistoy mentioned, the Sport should not be used as a primary source of navigation, but in addition to natural navigation and using a compass.

Also, I added a double ender and a couple feet of nylon rope to the transmitter to attach it to the mooring buoys.

Also, I noticed that you are located in LA. I believe that Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara rents units out on their charters.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/desert-star-systems/271146-test-run-sport-bonaire.html

We always ended up right on the transmitter, but that was in tropical water with good visibility.

Also, I noticed that you are located in LA. I believe that Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara rents units out on their charters.

Hey guys, under the manufacturer section I/we have a forum set-up. Sorry, had you known earlier you could've got the Rynomar discount :eyebrow:

To touch on what was said, the type of water (salt, fresh, warm, cold, etc) and the lack of visibility does not have an effect on the sonar. Well, that's a bit of a lie...the temperature of the water can play a factor and so can salt vs fresh. However, with the DiveTracker you won't notice any. So what I am saying...if it worked well in warm tropical water with 100s of feet visibility...it's going to work the same in cold frigid water with 1 foot vis. OH, and I'm envious of this 'tropical water' you speak of.

Truth Aquatics: Yes, they rent out the receivers. They have a hard-mounted transmitter attached to the bottom of their boat. I think they charge something like $10? I don't know for sure...

I had one and used it religously when diving off my own boat. I would tie the transmitter to the anchor line upon descent and just have the receiver in my pocket. When I was ready to locate the anchor line I would just turn on the receiver and follow it.

I kept a magnet tied to a cord in my other pocket to "turn on" the receiver.

I only lost my boat once and had to be picked up by another, that was the last time and I bought the sonar. Arguably the best investment that I could have made for my own vessel and diving style. My buddies loved it too.

I had one and used it religously when diving off my own boat. I would tie the transmitter to the anchor line upon descent and just have the receiver in my pocket. When I was ready to locate the anchor line I would just turn on the receiver and follow it.

I kept a magnet tied to a cord in my other pocket to "turn on" the receiver.

I only lost my boat once and had to be picked up by another, that was the last time and I bought the sonar. Arguably the best investment that I could have made for my own vessel and diving style. My buddies loved it too.

Always nice to hear. How long have you had your Scout?

So how do you like the Divetracker? Was it worth the money? I am thinking of eventually getting one as UW Nav back to boat can be tricky sometimes especially when shooting video or photos. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom