New Indonesian Fish (No Transparant Head, but....)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Indonesia's psychedelic fish named a new species
Published: 2/26/09, 7:25 AM EDT
By ROBIN McDOWELL

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - A funky, psychedelic fish that bounces on the ocean floor like a rubber ball has been classified as a new species, a scientific journal reported.

Picture32.png

In this undated photo released by David Hall of seaphotos.com, a recently discovered fish named "psychedelica" is shown in the waters off Ambon island, Indonesia. The frog-like fish _ which has a swirl of tan and peach zebra stripes that extend from its aqua eyes to its tail _ was initially discovered by scuba divers working as guides for a tour operator a year ago in shallow waters off Ambon island in eastern Indonesia. The operator contacted Ted Pietsch, lead author of a paper published in this February's edition of Copeia, the journal of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, which identified it as a new species. (AP Photo/seaphotos.com, David Hall, HO)

The frogfish - which has a swirl of tan and peach zebra stripes that extend from its aqua eyes to its tail - was initially discovered by scuba diving instructors working for a tour operator a year ago in shallow waters off Ambon island in eastern Indonesia.
The operator contacted Ted Pietsch, lead author of a paper published in this month's edition of Copeia, the journal of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, who submitted DNA work identifying it as a new species.
The fish - which the University of Washington professor has named "psychedelica" - is a member of the antennariid genus, Histiophryne, and like other frogfish, has fins on both sides of its body that have evolved to be leg-like.

But it has several behavioral traits not previously known to the others, Pietsch wrote.

Each time the fish strike the seabed, for instance, they push off with their fins and expel water from tiny gill openings to jet themselves forward. That, and an off-centered tail, causes them to bounce around in a bizarre, chaotic manner.
Mark Erdman, a senior adviser to the Conservation International's marine program, said Thursday it was an exciting discovery.

"I think people thought frogfishes were relatively well known and to get a new one like this is really quiet spectacular. ... It's a stunning animal," he said, adding that the fish's stripes were probably intended to mimic coral.

"It also speaks to the tremendous diversity in this region and to fact that there are still a lot of unknowns here - in Indonesia and in the Coral Triangle in general."

The fish, which has a gelatinous fist-sized body covered with thick folds of skin that protect it from sharp-edged corals, also has a flat face with eyes directed forward, like humans, and a huge, yawning mouth.

... and with a little garlic and butter.... :rofl3:

Bouncing off the bottom eh? I thought that was divers with poor buoyancy control (maybe taking pictures :D). This is kind of cool. I wonder if they have a video of the fish "swimming" as well since they have a picture. That would be neat to see. Thanks for the introduction to "psychedelica".

Bouncing off the bottom eh? I thought that was divers with poor buoyancy control (maybe taking pictures :D). This is kind of cool. I wonder if they have a video of the fish "swimming" as well since they have a picture. That would be neat to see. Thanks for the introduction to "psychedelica".

Will give new meaning to the term "swim like a fish."

Thanks knotical. This is a good one showing it floating around VERY ungracefully.

Sooo..we have a fish with poor buoyancy control - who taught that fish ?

Hmmm... doesn't look like any of the trips I was on, but that was back in the 60's so I probably am not remembering them correctly.

Silly fish anyway.

that. is. the. coolest. fish. EVER! Thanks for sharing :D

Back
Top Bottom