Wrecks in Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubacoastie

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello
Trying to get an idea of what wrecks are available to dive in Alaska. I am only PADI open water right now but plan on getting Tech certified in the future. Thanks

Agreed. Alaska is a pretty big place. Where do you want to start?

In SE we have the Princess Kathleen, The Princess Sophia and the SS State of California all local to Juneau. If you google the Princess's you'll find lots of info.

The SS State of California is 70 miles South of Juneau. If you find a late fall 2007 copy of Advanced Diver you can get more info in it. Mel Clark did an excellent article on it.

Otherwise, I think there are a couple others around SE and a few the we might be looking for....

Kodiak has the Aleutian and there are a few others around the Peninsula/Cook Inlet Area. I don't know if there are any worth diving. Then there are several war wrecks out in the Chain.

Help?

Dave

Alaska has a lot of shipwrecks. A fellow named Steve Lloyd has found a couple of them in south central and Kodiak. His website is

Shipwreck Projects

There is an excellent source for shipwreck information in Alaska if you are researching a wreck. That website is Shipwrecks Off Alaska's Coast

The problem with wreck diving in Alaska, outside of southeast, is logistics. There are not a lot of charter dive boats, distances and organization is a major undertaking, and location data is not all that precise, etc. But, there are a lot of wrecks up here just waiting to be found.

The Nautilus Explorer runs from Juneau to Vancouver B.C. and they dive a couple of wrecks or old docks along the way. I have been on that boat and was very pleased with the trip. Their website is at http://www.nautilusexplorer.com

Back
Top Bottom