Why do you log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebubble1995

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving for 15 years now and never logged a dive. Some of you brag about dive counts like you get a Gold watch at 1000 or something. What's the point? Is it for the insurance company because this is a business?

I googled it for grins and on an ehow.com vid the guy stated that "resorts want to see what kind of dives you have been on before they'll let you dive with them". WHAT A LOAD OF TURTLE POO! Never has anyone asked if I had a log book.:shakehead:

Well, Some courses that you shell out money to take require certain numbers of dives. Then there's always logging info. so you can check this stuff out for when you return to the site (yeah, I always do that). You can check out your air consumption at various depths over time. You can take a "Discover Local Diving" (or whatever) dive and have said instructor sign your log--even get a sticker. My older brother dived in the '60s, Mike Nelson style--log book then? Basically, it seems to be some thing that took hold in the '80s(?), is something else for you to buy, and is just what every body does today. Those really up to date log on their computers and ask what to do if they go to the Caribbean without a book. No-one's ever looked at my book, but dang, I keep it up to date. I got 123 dives in varied locations & depths. That's what it's for.

On cold winter nights, I enjoy reminiscing through my log of past dives, especially the warm ones! :)

I also keep a fishing diary. That one's not so much fun to review.... :wink:

Dave C

I log all of my recreational dives. For me, it serves a couple of purposes. First, as was already stated, I can track my air consumption over time at depth. But, more importantly, my dive log is for me, not for you or anyone else. My dive log sparks memories. I always write down everything important from the dive. Depth and bottom time, basic grounds layout,current, landmarks, sealife, remarks on other divers, and so on. Anything good, bad, or otherwise. It's nice to be able to go back to the log before I return to a spot to jog my memory about the cool spots, nice view, etc. Also, as a new diver, I like to go back and look at my log, to find any mistakes I made, or maybe saw others making, and learn from those mistakes. IMHO, it has made me a better diver. As for it being a money grabbing device, mines a basic graphpaper notebook.

Lots of reasons. I like looking back over what I wrote about past dives -- it brings back memories. I also keep a record of what weighting I used in various exposure protection and water, with various tanks (much easier than sorting it anew every trip). I also have cards that expire, where I have to provide proof that I'm diving at that level to renew, and the logs are that proof. It also satisfied my curiosity about how many of certain kinds of dives I have done (for example, cave dives, or helium dives).

So the hyperbaric chamber doctor will know what to do with you.

Other than that, they are excellent when you are learning your weighting for different wetsuits.

Also good for answering the constant question: What thickness of wetsuit?

As we know, this is strictly a personal question/answer, but for the individual, it gives a good source of information, for the correct question is... what will the water temps be?

With a good logbook record, the relative newcomer will know the answers to the wetsuit/weight questions.

For old divers, refer to the first paragraph- or buy a computer with a log function.

I log mainly for my own enjoyment. Most divers done locally involve VERY short entries. I note water temps, dates, what I wore. On vacation dives it's nice to record things that I enjoyed on the dive. Formations, Fish, People, etc.

Sometimes I reference my log to see how much weight I used given a particular setup. Some times I just look back and remember where I was. I do log my dives, and will continue to do so. It does not take long, and when I don't keep up with it, I can't remember where I was, or what I saw... I like it mainly for the Memories!

Back
Top Bottom