Morrison Springs Ribbon Cutting report, pics, movies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made it to the ribbon cutting today and Morrison is officially open again. The press interviewed a 79 year old diver from Saint Andrews. If you watch the ribbon cutting movie he is the guy blowing the conch shell. The speeches were typical lists of thank-you to everyone. I found a couple points interesting - they still think the committee I was on had lots of input and especially all those divers (where was I :D) - they mentioned several times that they kept the place natural (that's a matter of opinion for sure) - they also mentioned on-going improvements, including camping. I didn't dive because of my cold but there were divers ready and waiting to get things started. MysteryDiveBuddy was there to do some freediving as well.

Here are some pics:

Scott Brannon
brannon.jpg

Ronnie Bell
bell.jpg

Cliff Knauer
knauer.jpg

Susan Burgess
burgess.jpg

MysteryDiveBuddy
mdb.jpg

all.jpg

cut.jpg

out.jpg

springview.jpg

A movie tour of the facilities:

The actual ribbon cutting:

Thanks for the report Yoda. Wish I could have made it out there. I have a feeling that it might be a very busy place this weekend. Could you see the Cypress log from the surface today?

I didn't go out to the floating dock today but the water was still kind'a dark so I doubt if it was visible yet.

Outstanding. Sure wish I had the extra funds to make the drive down this weekend. I'll be there soon though. Looking forward to it!

I'm going tomorrow the 27th. Anybody up for it? I'll be arriving around 11 and try to do a couple of dives. I'll be in the beige GMC yukon with the MD plates. PM me if you can come.

very nice update seayoda,could'nt be there for the grand opening but Im sure we will be there within the next week.

was there a lot of divers there today?

Thanks for the update -

For those that went, what would you say the viz is? I'd like to get a dive in Saturday(weather permitting)

I just got back from Morrison, first night divers at the park since its opening! Bwah! Got in the water around 8PM and conditions were obviously better than this morning judging by SeaYoda's shots.

Vis... 25-30' in the basin, slight tinge of green thats really only noticable when you're next to the cavern openings with that bright blue water shooting through it.

We drove through rain on the way there(this afternoon), but caught no rain on the way home. If there's rain up north, it'll likely raise the river levels and blow Morrison out again. I would say diving it tomorrow(especially in the morning) is safe though.

Cavern is air clear as usual.

I'll do a full report of doghousediver and my dive tomorrow sometime.

One thing I noticed... There's a big chain wrapped around the huge boulder on the right side of the cavern(when entering)... and I swear it looks like they moved that big sucker over ontop the lateral fissure crack that used to be next to it. The vent there is nearly completely covered now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom