Lembeh or Philippines in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjlinva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on a 2 week dive trip this December over Christmas/New Years. I was hoping for a place that has really good diving (and decent dive conditions this time of year), that let's us maximize our dive time, and that's reasonably priced... I know this may be hard to find because Christmas-New Years is high season for alot of places and resorts are priced accordingly. I could always look somewhere in the Caribbean, which is convenient to us, but sure would like to find a more exotic place if possible.

I looked at Thailand and Raja Ampat but airfares to Thailand were crazy, and Raja Ampat had way too many days in transit/non-dive days to make the price worth it. Right now, I'm looking at either the Philippines (Puerto Galera/Dumagete) or Lembeh. We were in Lembeh last September and LOVED it, and we'll be going to Philippines (Anilao/Sogod Bay) in two weeks :D for the first time. My concerns is that this Christmas trip would fall in the rainy season for these two places, and I'm just not sure how this will likely affect diving. Is it likely that we could spend our vacation days watching the rain fall and not diving because of bad conditions? Which of these two places would you recommend for this trip? Is there another dive place I should be considering? Help, please!

pjlinva
We visited lembeh on Dec. 2008, supposed to be rain season but no rain when we were there; except when we're leaving lembeh on 25 Dec. We dove 3 - 4 dives per day; no losing days.
We stayed at budget resort Two Fish diver, far from luxury but they're very effective and friendly operation. For upscale accomodation, many people love KBR, Lembeh Resort or Kasawari.
For phillipine, I only visited Puerto Galera in May 2008, No doubt I'll vote Lembeh for muck diving.
I visited Phuket Dec. 2007; all hotel charged extra 30 - 50% of their normal price; and the diving itself was not special.

I've been to PG/Dumaguete once each and Lembeh 3 times. I to vote for Lembeh. Yeah it might rain at night but who cares when you are sleeping.

Can I ask what is the best season for Lembeh/Bunaken? We are planning 2+wks the first of Sept, but are considering pushing out a few weeks. Do we have a better chance of good weather earlier?

U can dive Lembeh/Bunaken all year round, but their "peak season" is around July - Sept, only because it is their dry season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom