Live from Truk Lagoon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Arrived in Chuuk on Friday AM, and checked in at Blue Lagoon Resort for my Fri-Sat-Sun stay before boarding the Odyssey.

The diving with Blue Lagoon Dive Shop is quite nice; the boats are fast, covered, and they take you wherever you want to go. Yesterday (Saturday) I dove with an 18yr old kid from Canada who's here with his dad. (Dad was hungover so didn't dive with us.) So it was just me and this kid on the boat, with two guides. We had each of the wrecks entirely to ourselves. We did the Nippo Maru, Kensho Maru and the Betty Bomber yesterday. All very good dives. The engine room in the K.M. was phenomenal. Will do 3 dives today before boarding the Odyssey.

The Blue Lagoon Resort is a pretty good place. Room is nice, room location is impossible to beat...

View3.JPG

Food has been surprisingly good, and cheap. I'd have to do the math - and wait until after being on the Odyssey - but I think this place would be a pretty good alternative to the Odyssey if you wanted to dive Truk but didn't want to bear the cost of a liveaboard. (Though I'm pretty sure I'll default to the idea that "valet" diving is really the way to go.)

Blue Lagoon Resort and the Odyssey Liveaboard have the nicer ambiance --but Truk Stop Hotel and Dive Center has the better technical support (helium & oxygen/nitrox blending; spare deco regs, BP/W and other logistics).

Have a great time! The history, cargo and machine works of the wrecks are fascinating --but the most mind-blowing sight to see is the abundant growth over sixty-five years of the colorful soft/hard coral on the Shinkoku and Fujikawa Maru's. Absolutely beautiful!!!

December 26, 2016 I will be there. When I started diving last year I set the goal that I will dive Chuuk on my 50th birthday.

Everytime I hear more about it the more I realize what a great goal that is.

Man, if I could just get over the anxiety about the long airplane ride I'd be down there tomorrow. After about two hours on a plane and I'm almost hysterical. Can't sleep, bored to death and my butt hurts. Wish they had 'sleepers' like the old Pullman railroad cars. ------What were your expenses getting there and back and your daily costs if you don't mind?

You have the same goal as me. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how I look at it, my 50th rolls around this year. I am going at the end of May. I am ready to go NOW. I have had it with the "global warming" winter we are having in MI!

December 26, 2016 I will be there. When I started diving last year I set the goal that I will dive Chuuk on my 50th birthday.

Everytime I hear more about it the more I realize what a great goal that is.

Man, if I could just get over the anxiety about the long airplane ride I'd be down there tomorrow. After about two hours on a plane and I'm almost hysterical. Can't sleep, bored to death and my butt hurts. Wish they had 'sleepers' like the old Pullman railroad cars. ------What were your expenses getting there and back and your daily costs if you don't mind?

Garrobo, the best way to get there is on miles. That is how RJP is doing it and how we did it. Otherwise $1500+ for the plane ticket. Figure about $300 per day land based (sharing a room with another person). As for getting there, you might consider taking the island hopper out of Honolulu. It takes a bit of time but you have a chance to get off the plane along the way and in some case you have no choice. You will make four stops, (Mujuro, Kwaj, Kosrae, and Pohnpei), before getting to Chuuk.

Sinbad - life is short make it your 45th birthday. Now that Bikini is basically closed I am thinking of doing my second trip there for my 45th which how old I am now ;-).

Oh yeah and Kev is correct on the diving, go deep see the history the spend some time in shallows enjoying the flora and fauna. The king pins and mast heads are great.

My question for RJP is how he posted from the Blue Lagoon. It took me 20 minutes to check my email!! I can't wait to go back. A trip of a lifetime for sure.

My question for RJP is how he posted from the Blue Lagoon. It took me 20 minutes to check my email!! I can't wait to go back. A trip of a lifetime for sure.

Do you one better - I'm posting this from the boat! (Seems that at the Blue Lagoon mooring you can pick up the wireless signal from the Odyssey.)

Alas, two weeks are now over seemingly before they started. 57 dives in 17 days here, and I think I really just scratched the surface.

:depressed:

That's it. Rub it in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom