Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Many posts say that DMs make very little. What are some ball park figures? How much for assisting on 2 check out dives? What about a pool session? General pay info.? I know the course content and costs vary widely, but what about the insurance--approximate annual cost?

In this area they get their travel (car ride) and hotel room paid for, free air, and that is about it, IF THAT. Most of the DM's I see helping out with classes are *in training* and do not even see that much profit.

Instructors here vary a lot. But one example is that the instructor makes $25 per student for each leg of OW. So if they do 10 students, both pool, and dives, they will make $500. The LDS in that case pays for their travel expenses as well.

I'm sure this varies, but the short answer is... hardly anything!

I make nothing for pool seasons and get gas money for the quarry check out dive. When we used to go far enough to require a hotel stay that was covered. It's something that you do because you enjoy it. Definitely not for the money. Now I do this in a land locked area. Those working as DM on charters will make a little but again it's not for the money.

I do get discounts on gear and free air fills.

It depends on where you are. in Honduras, better DM's get $60 a week plus tips. There is no insurance requirement.

In south Florida and the Keys where I do my diving the DM's and instructors rotate from one shop to the other like counter girls at McD's. About the time you get to know and like one of them they are gone.

When assisting classes I made no money. When working on a boat I received a "free" boat ride, except the one time I even had to pay for that. In two years of working as a DM I never received any money, but did pay $360 for insurance.

Let's see:
$15 per student for Discover Snorkelling
$20 per student for Discover Scuba
$20 per student for Scuba Refresher

Not too bad an arrangemet at the shop - we each have an opportinity to sign up of one of each in the month and typically there are more. DMs get first crack at these classes. Snorkelling and Refreshers are typically full over the winter.

Nothing for helping an instructor in the pool or class - typically this is a volunteer thing - will often get lunch or dinner

Open water or other classes out at the lake - depends on the arrangement with the individual instructor - sometimes $$ per student, sometimes gas, sometimes dinner after the weekend, etc.

I've been tipped rarely, and it has been quite amusing from my side, from cash, to booze, to beer. First time someone slipped me a $20 durnig a handshake I didn't know what the heck to do!

Significant discounts from the shop and no cost for air when teaching or assisting.

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems it's as I thought- very little or no money. I can see someone getting their DM if they are at least reasonably sure they will become an Instructor. At least there is a LITTLE money in that. Don't get me wrong--I was a band teacher 19 years, and I didn't just go into that for the money...Of course, I was interested in teaching kids how to play. But I wouldn't have done it if the pay was half what it was. One may love music or diving, and love teaching, but it's still hard work. That's why they pay you. The curious thing to me is many DMs remain DMs and don't go on--and they probably know the score before taking the DM course. Some take the course to better themselves as divers, but the main aim of DM is to get you started teaching/leading others. I bought the Encycl. of Rec. Diving on my own-good book. But to spend the $ on the course & insurance if you don't intend to be an Instructor is curious.

Let me see... as a DM, I get paid nothing for pool sessions, but I don't have to pay for the air or water. For checkout trips, I pay cost, which is usually a nice discount (but it's still paying, not being paid). So, basically, at least here in Baton Rouge, being a divemaster is strictly a volunteer position with a few discounts.

For me, personally, however, I have decided that when I eventually become a full Instructor, I will give *something* to any divemaster assisting me. It won't be an even split, and it's almost certainly not going to be "good" pay, but *some* gratuity in some fashion seems only honorable to me. Even something as simple as picking up a lunch tab would at least show gratitude. A good DM in my area is certainly not doing it for the money, but that's no reason not to thank them with something at least slightly more weighty than words.

(For the record, it doesn't bother me that I work classes as a volunteer. I do it because I enjoy it. I just want to be a person of above average consideration -- we could use a few more of those around.)

Back
Top Bottom