Is it rare to be able to pop your ears on will/demand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullen1200

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im about to start a 2 week PADI open water course. I can VERY easily squeeze some muscle around my jaw (I don't even feel the muscle really), and equalize the pressure in my ears. I can even do it both ways, increasing or decreasing pressure. I'm wondering if this means I wont have to hold my nose while I'm diving.

boy do I feel special.. :D ... If If I should have posted this in the new divers section, feel free to move it.

Some folks can equalize without "holding their nose" (Valsalva Maneuver). You may be one of them.

Only one way to find out.

<double post>

Please ignore.

I guess I am then. Lucky me. I have only experimented above water, Im just assuming it'll work the same underwater.

No.

N

I know a few people who are able to to this. I have on rare occasions been able to equalize while descending with a jaw pop - but usually have to hold my nose.

On the way up it usually happens automatically. If not, there is usually some reason (head position, congestion, etc) - If you valsalva on the surface, the air should come right back out.....

I could always do it to equalize while in air as in when flying. It seems the more I dive the easier it has become for me to do it underwater. At this point it is almost second nature but every once in a while I submerge a bit too fast and need to grab my nose because I already feel the pressure.

Is it rare? I have no idea. Most people grab their nose! I say try it at the surface, and at five feet. The bottom line, if it's not working for you, do a nose grab. What you do NOT want to happen is to feel pressure, and not be able to clear. If that does happen, ascend, and continue to attempt to clear until you can.

Make sure however that your are not already clear! It's not difficult, but you should be able to clear every time you feel even the slightest pressure. Also clear at depth when needed. If you drop 5 feet while hanging around a shallow platform, you may need to clear, or ascend slightly. My best advice is pay attention to your ears! A lot of new divers injure their ears during CO dives because they are so focused on everything else.

It seems like it would be sooo simple, but I've been around a lot of new divers, and I'd say the majority screw up their ears to some extent during checkout dives.

Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is the preferred method of equalization once mastered. It feels very much like a yawn and a difference in tonal quality of sounds will be noticed when successful. The muscles of the upper throat are used to pull open the Eustachian tube.

Back
Top Bottom