Cleaning a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, forgive me if this is redundant, or sounds stupid, but what is the preferred method of cleaning a BC after a dive? I have read that you should just rinse it off and that's good. I have also read that you should fill it 1/4 full of fresh water and shake it, then dump it. I know to store it partially filled with air. I (it's took me long enough) have got my own gear now, and I would like to make it last as long as possible, so I want to get it right. Thanks in advance for your advice.

OK, forgive me if this is redundant, or sounds stupid, but what is the preferred method of cleaning a BC after a dive? I have read that you should just rinse it off and that's good. I have also read that you should fill it 1/4 full of fresh water and shake it, then dump it. I know to store it partially filled with air. I (it's took me long enough) have got my own gear now, and I would like to make it last as long as possible, so I want to get it right. Thanks in advance for your advice.

It's a good Idea the rinse your BC inside and out with fresh water. Force a bit of fresh water through the "add" valave in the power inflator too. (Assuming it's not a combo octo inflator)

Dump out the water and leave your BC partially inflated, keep it out of direct sunlight.

Pretty simple.

Tobin

From time to time I'll take a mixture or fresh water and Listerine and rinse the inside of my b/c's just to make sure there's no yucky stuff growing in there, and then flush with fresh water.

the K

If diving the next day, or at least very soon, a good rinse is enough. From time to time, rinse the inside and flush it out through the inflator to rinse the valves. For long term storage, you need to do a thorough rinse of the inside and make sure the valves are flushed expecially well, otherwise salt will cristalize and attack them.

For long term storage, I rinse it thoroughly inside and out, including extra care for the inflator valves, then wash it (outside only) with mild detergent, then hang it up inflated and drain it a few times as the water settles, then store it hung with some air inside.

First, I dump all the salt water out. Then I put in a bit of baby shampoo, fresh water, shake and dump that several times. Then rinse the outside. Store it upside down and keep dumping the little remaining water out for days after the dive. I've had my used BC 3+ years now and no problems. You can also buy the BC cleaner fluid instead of baby shampoo, but it costs more, it's hard to find shops that sell it, and folks say the baby shampoo is just as good.

Pretty much what everybody else says. I have a large tank I soak my stuff in after a dive, then I rinse the bc outside real well. Run fresh water inside and swirl it around then drain. If I can taste salt on the manual inflate, then I fill and drain again

Salt inside your BC bladder is the enemy. The salt will migrate into the inflator hose and cause corrosion if it contacts parts that will rust. I remove my BC bladder occasionally and totally flush it out. On occasion I have found salt accumulations in it. The inside of the bladder can be cleaned without removing it from the BC. I am the type that likes to dis-assemble things

You can also buy the BC cleaner

BC cleaner? That's awesome. It never ceases to amaze me how somebody will figure out a way to sell an $8 gallon jug of shampoo at $8/ounce. That's about as funny as "Wetsuit cleaner."

-Charles

The best cleaning method is with Zeagle's garden hose inflator attachment. It costs just $40 online and has changed BC maintenance forever. Just go to the Zeagle web site and take a look at it.

Adam

From time to time I'll take a mixture or fresh water and Listerine and rinse the inside of my b/c's just to make sure there's no yucky stuff growing in there, and then flush with fresh water.

the K
I would have never thought of Listerine. Cleaver... I don't know if it actually works, but cleaver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom