Giving Diving a Bad Name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yet another Diver has lost his life diving in San Diego, CA (my back yard) This one obviously due to a whole lot of stupidity. The search has been called off for 33 yr old Rod Thompson whom was [red]not a certified diver[/red] and had been [red]drinking[/red] before his 3am night dive off of a small boat by La Jolla's Wind-n-Sea Beach. Here is a link to the newspaper story which is a little different than the TV story they just aired on it.

Here is another story of a diver lost here in SoCal back in December of 2000.

Here is another story from January of 2001.

Hi Mario,

My rig was unable to hook up with the server(s) for any of your newspaper links, but that first story you told certainly is outrageous. Darwin was definitely onto something.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Agree with Doc V - yet another Darwin candidate.

Although I hate hearing of such occurences as life is is always important (to someone), but what were these guys thinking?

Mario,

Thanks for the article. It is so sad when someone dies unnecessarily. Everytime I read something like this I wonder where the diver got his equipment? I also have a hard time biting my tongue when I and others have not been asked to show C-cards prior to diving. I have heard guys brag that they have been of xxx dives w/o being cert'ed.

I guess J. Cousteau was not cert'ed and, so, you can be a world class diver w/o the card. But, good ole J. came close to losing it all several times. He was just so good that he had a large margin for error. Most of us mortals do not.

Joewr

why bother? he (and Gagnon) were the inventors of the
demand regulator. JYC (and Falco, etc.) pioneered much
SCUBA diving.

asking JYC to 'get a cert card' is kinda like insisting the Wright brothers take flying lessons after the fact.

I think there is a lot of blame to be placed on the 'buddy' who took him diving at 3am after drinking. Great, he followed the standard 'surface and wait', but I bet his friend didn't know that was the deal if you got separated.

What are you doing taking an uncertified diver in at 3am? I've done some pretty stupid things in my day, but I only risk my own life.

Hey, Green,

I hope you did not interpret my words to mean that I thought JYC should have had a C-Card! I wrote that one could be a world class diver w/o one--but us mere mortals were not likely in that class.

Egad, I reread what I wrote and still cannot figure out why you thought I meant that late JYC "needed" a C-Card...at any rate, to set the record straight I did not and do not.

And, on that note, I will wish you a very pleasant New England day! And, of course, great diving!

Joewr

That's sad, indeed. My heart goes out to his family. I was talking to the owner of the shop, that I do business with (not the one we talking about last night, Mario), Saturday and he said he had a customer come into the store earlier that day wanting to buy a BC for his 7 year old son. The guy wasn't an instructor, and of course the kid wasn't certified. He was going to take him diving in a river that day. Of course, the shop owner refused to make the sale.

This is the part that kills me (and might have killed his buddy)...

"the diver put the boat away and drove home before contacting the Coast Guard about his missing diving partner"

I'm guessing that the missing diver was not the only one who was drinking.

File this one under strange, pathetic, and sad but true.

-kate

You might want to put this one under Faul Play. This one sounds to strange from what I read in the report. I would have supspicions the guy may not even went diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom