Orange Grove\Peacock Springs, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
We went to Orange Grove & Peacock Springs this weekend to do some cavern diving. However, the viz was incredibly bad, 10' max). After about 80' we reeled our line back in and headed up see we could not see anything. We are just cavern divers, so we did not go into the caves obviously; however, we did tath a few cavers who said that it did clear up to about 30' viz in the caves.

This is because of all the rain in SC & GA that has caused the caverns to flood.

Just wanted to let anyone know, if they were contemplating going there anytime soon. We predict it may take as long as September for these to clear out to normal viz.

Good luck and be safe.

I like the caves there the way they are.... like river caves... They are more fun.:)

I really enjoyed how the flood refreshed the caves. The floors have been swept and have ripples. The color change is very interesting. The cavern zones are starting to change from tannin to green. The tunnels have 15-20 ft vis.
Having the opportunity to be the first into some of the side tunnels in Peacock is memorable. Debris still hangs from the permanent line. It's like diving a different system
The flow is dropping but is a very easy swim in and great ride coming out.
The best part is that the water level is up to the sixth step.
Very special trip.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Yeah I could not believe the water height, up to the sixth step... I thought they had redo the landing or something, I havent seent it that high in a long time!!!

daylight once bubbled...
I really enjoyed how the flood refreshed the caves. The floors have been swept and have ripples. The color change is very interesting. The cavern zones are starting to change from tannin to green. The tunnels have 15-20 ft vis.
Having the opportunity to be the first into some of the side tunnels in Peacock is memorable. Debris still hangs from the permanent line. It's like diving a different system
The flow is dropping but is a very easy swim in and great ride coming out.
The best part is that the water level is up to the sixth step.
Very special trip.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Hey Larry--You going to the Cave Diver Forum Social in July?

Wish you would!

Dave

SCDiver once bubbled...
We predict it may take as long as September for these to clear out to normal viz.

I'm going to bet it is clear much sooner. There has also been rain in NoFL, and the aquifer is charged. There is a good boil in Peacock, and I've heard that Telford is clearing up and has significant flow. Ginnie is already the clearest I've seen since maybe November. I'm optimistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom