Diving Maui and Altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey eveyone,

I'm going to be in Maui for the next 10 days. I'm only planning on diving two of the days I'm there. My wife wants to go on a tour to the crater & rainforest or go to the volocano (10,000 ft). Of course she wants to do this the day after I dive. I'm diving with Ed Robinson's and will probably be out of the water by noon. These tours start at around 8:00 AM the next day. Do you think it will be safe for me to go on any of these tours? I'm guessing I'll have been out of the water for about 20 hours. Is this safe enough? Thanks for any input.

Duane

10,000 foot is a bit higher than the 8,000 foot cabin altitude that the fly after dive recommendations assume -- so that's a strike against you.

On the other hand, you have 2 things going for you:
First is that you won't have been diving multiple days, the second is that it is a rather gradual ascent as you drive up the mountain.

Two other things you can do to stack the odds in your favor are to dive nitrox (reduces N2 loading) and to stop for lunch or breakfast at the town partway up the volcano.

Of course the best solution would simply be to rearrange your sked so you don't dive the day before -- this is the approach I've always used.

I'd have no qualms about doing it with a stop halfway up, but would want a bit more time if going with a bike tour that drives straight up. Some people feel a bit fuzzy-headed and winded at the summit due to the lower ppO2 --- don't get freaked out by this and think you have DCS.

your mileage may GREATLY vary,

Charlie

My wife wants to do a van tour. They stop for breakfast at a plantation and there is a stop for lunch at Makawao. Here is what their brochure says about the tour:

spectacular full day of Limo-Van touring. Begin your morning with a
breathtaking view of Haleakala Crater, lunch in the Upcountry cowboy town of
Makawao and conclude with a refreshing tropical waterfall swim. Enjoy
in-depth narration as well as a diversity of picture-perfect scenery. 6-8
guests per Limo-Van

Duane

Charlie is right. If you use Nitrox you'll be safer. I know a civil engineer that works up there and that's what he does. He is a divemaster that works on a boat a day or two a week. Then he spends 2-3 days up there.

I made the mistake of going up there two years ago after diving. I got a couple of symptoms right away and turned around. It was pretty uncomfortable. Not really the best plan. Still 20 hours is pretty good. We all react differently. Since I know I had some problems I certainly won't go up there this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom