Jakarta airport tax goes up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just left Jakarta on Sunday and encountered a new higher airport departure tax (implemented as off March 1st 2009). The new tax is 150,000 rupiah - so make sure you have enough Rupiahs to pay at the check-in counter.

Not sure if this applies to other airports beyond Soekarno Hatta in Jakarta (CGK) but pretty much all airports I have been to, in Indonesia, have some departure tax.

All airport taxes across the country have increased, including the domestic airport taxes. The domestic airport taxes have gone up by about IDR10,000 per trip IIRC and international by IDR50,000.

Bali has been Rp150 000 international for a year now and u can see the change in the departure area

hi, do any of you have any insights on changing flights in Jarkatar? I've heard some stories about corruption there.

I've lived in Indonesia for 7 years and never had to pay even a single penny in corruption money at the airport.

The only times I have paid anything is when being stopped driving without a licence. I paid on the spot rather than go through the tedious and expensive court system here, and it was my own choice whether to pay or not. In the last five years I've had a licence, have been stopped a number of times and have never had to pay anything.

If you don't have the correct visa, or don't have six months validity on your passport, you will have to decide yourself the best coutse of action. If all your papers are in order I expect you will pass through without having to give anything but a smile.

Thanks for the info Bali-Freak. However transfering at Jarkatar, is it easy? I would be flying in internationally and transiting to Manado.

(1)... its Jakarta.

(2) it depends which airlline/s you are traveling on; if you are on a Garuda connecting flight, you do it all via the international a/p. If you are connecting via a domestic airline, i think you have to transfer to the domestic terminal (not far from the int'l, but you can take a short taxi ride).

(3) re corruption; it depends on the mood of the inpsecting 'officer'; traditionally, you are more likely to get extorted by officials close to Ramadhan and if your papers are not in order, since the locals need to go home to their villages with cash in pocket. I am deadly serious as i say this; occurances are rare at the a/p, but they do happen.

Make sure your papers are in order as per consultate regulations and you should be ok. Minor irregularities are all the excuse they need; don't give them the excuse to screw you over.

One more comment about domestic flights in Indonesia - they have a tendency to switch check-in counters or have one number listed on the screen for all flights of a certain airline and actual check-in done from different counter. Also not uncommon is last minute gate switching. So it's good to pay attention and make sure you are standing in the right check-in line and waiting at the right gate. It can get a bit frustrating for a foreign traveler especially when loud-speaker announcements are difficult to decipher.
And again - make sure you have rupiah cash for the domestic airport tax paid after check-in.

Jakarta airport (Soekarno Hatta - CGK) has a free shuttle service to take you from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. You don't need to take a taxi. (although the taxi drivers will be eager to offer their services)

Personally, I never experienced problems with corrupt officials, but my experience is limited. I think it's the kind of thing you're more likely to encounter if you try to set up a business in Indonesia or break the traffic laws.

Enjoy your trip!

thanks naga.

no, i'll fly into jakarta with another airline, not Garuda. So, how far is it from the international terminal to the domestic terminal? also, what about batavia-air, it seems like it is much cheaper.

i won't need visa to go to indonesia and my passport will still be valid for some time, i guess i shall be fine.

Thanks!!

Batavia is in the domestic terminal - just look for the free shuttle bus to take you to the domestic terminal.

Regarding visa - if you don't need one that will save you some hassle.

I always have to pay for the Visa on Arrival ($25 for 30 day visa or $10 for 7 day visa) in US cash. One more line you wont need to stand in.

Back
Top Bottom