Finding something out of the ordinary whilst diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan Kruger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While diving on Sunday 1st of March at 'Bass City ' -Ponta Malongane in Mozambique i noticed this white container situated in a small rockformation at a depth of about 24 metres. As i was reaching inside the rock chamber i saw this white container had a small plate on the side...i suddenly realised it was somebody's urn! I was amazed to see this and didn't touch it. As i swam away i pointed it out to the DM, and then carried on taking pictures of other fish etc. As i turned around later i saw the DM had rounded up all the other divers, and they all had taken out this urn and read the inscription before replacing it inside the rock chamber.

Thinking about it afterwards i thought it was cool to have somebody allowing you to rest where you loved to go. This diving site is beautiful and the big Blue viz ...

I've heard of people sprinkling ashes, and reef balls and all that, but this is a new one!
Kind of freaky if you ask me, but your last wishes are your last wishes!

I just hope no one does anything stupid with it.

That's not unusual at all. We had one return twice. The widow tossed her husbands remains into Lake Pond Oreille which is a very deep lake. The problem was that she tossed him into 20' of water where they have a lot of classes. The second time she tossed him into 35' water and the same thing happened. So to save her any more greef we took him over the edge where it does get deep.

What's unusual to most is finding someone before they make it into the urn. :wink:

Gary D.

There's even a service that will mix one's ashes into the CONCRETE used to make artificial reef structures (reef balls, etc...). That's one way to extend bottom time!

I think i'd rather have that done with my body than being buried or cremated. At least with that my body is being put to a little use after i'm gone instead of polluting the environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom