Is September or October good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Specifically Cancun, Coz or Grand Cayman, but anywhere there is good diving. Hoping to plan a trip in either Sept. or Oct., but don't know if the Caribbean is good at those times for novice divers. Any ideas on good, warm dive spots in Sept./Oct?

The biggest issue with the carribean in September and October is that is the middle of hurricane season.

You never know what is going to develop. The weather could be fantastic. We have made our last two trips to Coz in October and did just fine. Last year was close as we left about 36-48 hours ahead of the 'cane.

If you really want to reduce the risk I think Roatan and Bonaire are both far enough South they done have problems, but I'm not totally sure.

Good luck,

TwoBit

Historical trends show that hurricane season peaks in September and October in the northwest Caribbean.

Last year is but one data point, but here in Grand Cayman we had to put boats in hurricane shelter 3 times last year - all in September-October.

Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao are so far south that they are considered outside the hurricane belt, so I'd look there first. Aruba is usually pretty cheap from the east coast, went last year for a week for $700...don't know about the west coast, though.

I've been in the Caribbean four or five times during the fall and only had problems once. We were in the DR in Nov. 2001 when a hurricane hit Cuba....pretty much messed up the diving for the week.

Went to Aruba four years ago in September for $750/week air and land, and a friend went to St. Johns. He had to be evacuated to ST. Thomas. We had rain for half a day and surf for a day. Been going to Bonaire Labor Day week for the last three years and will go to Curacao this year. I would never go to the main part of the Caribbean in September or October. The weather's too iffy. Further south in the ABC's you should be fine.

Last September I went diving in Key Largo, FL. I had planned the trip about three months in advance, and booked everything online. My Girlfriend at the time started getting scared when the news began reporting about hurricane Isadore, and sure enough, it was hitting Cuba when we were in the Keys. You might think this would have ruined the trip, but ACTUALLY, we had a GREAT time, and dove often. First of all, there were hardly any other people there, turning a 22 person boat into a 6 person cruise ship! Second, the diving was still great, albeit a little rougher than we had thought it would be. We only got rained on once, and that was on a half day trip to Key West. All in all, it was still a great time, and something that $$ wise, definitely made a difference

This is September/October in the Caribbean...
Of course, when there's no 'cane, it's the best time to dive there of all.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom