Old scuba tanks, should I bother with a hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anony

Registered
Reaction score
I got an old Aluminum 80, made in 1984. I could have gotten 3 but according to a guy I trust at the local dive shop, they normally wont even consider these since they are so unlikely to last much longer.

I brought it into the shop to ask the if the valve was worth anything, and the "new" guy offered to hydro it for 50$.

I am unsure what to do here, is it worth risking 50$ on this old tank?

If it's 1984 it's most likely a 6351 alloy tank. There have been a few of those that developed cracks in the neck.

When the tank is sent in for hydro they also have to do an eddy current test on it to check for those cracks.

You might want to check around the shops in your area, in Southern California there are many shops that will no longer fill pre-1988 tanks out of concern that they could fail. (Or because they get to sell you a new tank, pick your reason)

So, $50 for a tank that you might have problems getting filled, or could possibly fail the test, vs. maybe $150 for a new one that should last 20 years if reasonably cared for.

I'd at least make sure you can get it filled in your area before spending the money.

Good luck with it!

Thanks TC.
The guy I trust (Mike at Dolphin Scuba) Told me as much,
I dont think I'll waste my dollars, or listen to this new guy's advice in the future.

I've ordered a few things from dolphin over the years- nice folks.

Agreed. An ancent Al80 is not worth the trouble to bring back to service. Old tanks of that vintage get tossed out pretty often. The valve is probaly ok though.

Keep that.

The guy at the shop said it was worth about 5$ after an overhaul.
How accurate is that?

Because of the issues with old tanks even with a current hydro many shops will not fill them. As a result I would pass on an old Al tank.

Mat.

I would have thought 10-15 just off the top of my head.

Just finished reading that article TC linked to. Interesting stuff. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom