Water temps in Roatan ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitroxbabe

Reaction score
Howdy all -

Just wondering if anyone knows what the water temp is like in Roatan this time of year. (Trying to save weight/space in the newly weight-limited checked bags....)

We're heading out to Cocoview on the 31st for a wonderful week. Unless the water gods are against me, I'll be completing my 100th dive this trip. Woo hoo.

Thanks.

I was there in July, and the water was 87 degrees. :eek:

Edit: Oh, wait. That was October. Oops. Nevermind. :bonk:
It's been a loooonggggg day.

I was there in July of last year and the water temps were in the early 80's. Usually 82 or 83 degrees if I remember correctly. I dived 3 or 4 times every day for a week and never once got the chills. I was wearing a 3MM shortie and it was plenty warm.

I'll be at the Inn of Last resort the same time you are down there (May 31 - June 7). I'm flying down on TACA out of Houston. Look for me if you're on the same flight. We'll be the americans with the silly 'heading for a dive trip' grin :)

The water temp sounds great! Sounds like my skin should be just fine.

Can't wait - shore diving every night! woo hoo!

Tropic - we won't be arriving until the evening of the 31 so we probably won't see ya -

Jray - no sorry we're flying Roatan Charter out of Dallas. But yes, I'm sure we'll have that same silly grin :)

Thanks for the info!

We just returned on May 10th from a week at AKR. During 16 dives, my computer read 82F on 14 of them, 81F on one, and 84F (shallow dive) on one. By the time you get there I suspect seeing 82-84 would not be out of the question. I was comfortable most of the week in a 2mm shorty, but did begin to feel just a bit chilled on the last couple of dives. Also be aware that the thimble jelly larvae may still be around during that time period, so take a hood or a full length skin or get some of the Safesea sunscreen that has a sting protection in it just in case they are out in force while you are there. During our trip, I only noticed the thimble jellies on one dive while surfacing, and never really noticed any signs of SBE, but I was hearing sporadic reports from the south side of the island in the weeks before our trip of more serious cases by some divers who were unprepared.

Good luck and enjoy it...look for a trip report from me in a few days!

AggieDiver

[get some of the Safesea sunscreen that has a sting protection in it just in case they are out in force while you are there. During our trip, I only noticed the thimble jellies on one dive while surfacing, and never really noticed any signs of SBE, but I was hearing sporadic reports from the south side of the island in the weeks before our trip of more serious cases by some divers who were unprepared.]

Where do you find the Safesea stuff. Do they have it in Roatan?

Thanks for the thimble jelly warning. We were just in Coz right before Easter and man, were they ever out in force! (But so were the turtles, so it was OK w/us :) The thimbles looked like clouds from below, they were so thick. Amazing.

A couple people got stung on the lip, one person on the hand, but it wasn't that big of a deal for those of us with full-length suits. We just kept high in the water while waiting for the boat.

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
(Trying to save weight/space in the newly weight-limited checked bags....)

What's the deal with the weight limit on bags? Also are there any special precautions or advice to make sure your luggage reaches Roatan if on Taca?

Back
Top Bottom