Tech Diving vs Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark Gal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Please explain what is meant by tech diving and how this relates or differs from rebreathers. Thanks

It's not really a vs thing. They are two different subjects, but the rebreather could be used in recreational or technical diving.

Basically the rebreather uses chemicals to clean the circulated air of CO2. When you breathe in air, it is about 21% oxygen. When you exhale, it is typically about 16% oxygen. So, with an open circuit system (your typical tank and regulator) you are essentially wasting a lot of O2. Not wasting the O2 gives you the opportunity to carry less air on your back for the same amount of bottom time. Rebreather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technical diving is anything that goes beyond the recreational dive training. This can be decompression diving, cave diving, wreck penetration, etc. Technical diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically there is no such thing as technical diving. It has become a buzz word that really means little as time goes by. Whether I use a single tank, doubles or a rebreather if I am not being paid for it, it's recreational.

I think that wedivebc got it right. Having said that, I gotta get one of those rebreather$ $ome day.

Thank you for all your comments and references. With so many articles referring to tec diving, I was getting confused. I agree about trying a rebreater $ome day. I found a pretty interesting Ted Talk on how they are using this rebreather technology. So based on your input, I would say the clip is about both tec diving and rebreathers. Richard Pyle dives the reef's Twilight Zone | Video on TED.com

Thanks again for your help.

Consider 'technical' diving as any that you cannot directly ascend to the to surface safely. This would could be due to an overhead environment (inside a wreck, in a cave, etc) or a decompression obligation.

As others have said, there isn't a vs. conversation. One thing to mention is that rebreathers usually require considerably more training and most recreational divers have taken. This usually involves both gas training and rebreather training.

I'm going to add a question to this.
in the old days of early technical diving your bottom time was very small and your hang time was very great, as in "an this may not be right" if you went for a dive around 200ft you spent 15 or 20min on the bottom and your deco was anywere from 45 min to an hour.
what might be the same time's for a CCR? and are their more perks to a CCR rather than having a set of doubles with trimix?

Basically there is no such thing as technical diving. It has become a buzz word that really means little as time goes by. Whether I use a single tank, doubles or a rebreather if I am not being paid for it, it's recreational.

I noticed that on your profile you list "Technical Diver" under Dive Classification. Curious why you changed your mind?

what might be the same time's for a CCR? and are their more perks to a CCR rather than having a set of doubles with trimix?

Depends. I'm not familiar with CCR deco profiles, but they do have the benefit of running a constant PO2 whereas with open circuit your PO2 drops as you ascend (and between each bottle switch).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom