PADI Advanced Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What books are required to do this? Just the Advanced Open Water or do I need the books for the individual specialty "preview" dives? I assume the AOW book just covers Deep and Nav?

THanks,
Chris

All you need is the Adventures in Diving Manual as during the Advanced Course you will be doing just Dive number 1 of the 5 selected Specialty Courses available during training!
The Idea of the Advanced Course is to give you an insite into other things that you can do in the underwater world and you have a good choice depending on the area you dive!
The Adventures in Diving DVD compliments the training rather well I think!
If you like the dives then you can continue with your training and get the full Specialty Certification! Its Fun!

SAVE THE ATLANTIC LION FISH!

Hey Chris great to talk once again! Hope all is well and sounds awesome about your up coming training!
I really enjoyed the AOW coarse it helped to introduce the diving world to me.
At the start of my diving I was pretty skeptical on whether I would enjoy night, low vis., etc. Wow did I have a eye opening experience. It was awesome! I have found that once my head gets under the water I am in awe and love it despite vis!
AOW really launched my diving into gear. I ended up reading the whole thing, even the sections I did not need to.
Keep us posted and look forward to your certification soon!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

What books are required to do this? Just the Advanced Open Water or do I need the books for the individual specialty "preview" dives? I assume the AOW book just covers Deep and Nav?

THanks,
Chris

From the instructor manual, here is what is required and recommended:

Student divers must have a current version of these required materials:
PADI Adventures in Diving manual or Multimedia
Deluxe Data Carrier
RDP The Wheel, table or eRDP including associated Instructions for Use booklets (The Wheel is required for multilevel dives)

Recommended
PADI Adventures in Diving video
PADI Specialty Diver manuals and videos
PADI Log Book

The purpose of the advanced open water diver is really to introduce you to the first dive of 5 specialty dives, of which deep and navigation are required. The other three can be chosen from 17 other specialties. These should be covered in your adventures in diving book. The specialty dives are

1. Altitude Dive
2. AWARE - Fish Identification Dive
3. Boat Dive
4. Deep Dive
5. Digital Underwater Photography Dive
6. Diver Propulsion Vehicle Dive
7. Drift Dive
8. Dry Suit Dive
9. Enriched Air Dive
10. Multilevel and Computer Dive
11. National Geographic Dive
12. Night Dive
13. Peak Performance Buoyancy Dive
14. Search and Recovery Dive
15. Underwater Naturalist Dive
16. Underwater Navigation Dive
17. Underwater Photography Dive
18. Underwater Videography Dive
19. Wreck Dive

a little update for 2009

Page 1-6 — Under Instructor Materials and Student Diver Materials, changed The Wheel (pardon me while I stand up and applaud) to eRDPML, deleted eRDP

a little update for 2009

Page 1-6 Under Instructor Materials and Student Diver Materials, changed The Wheel (pardon me while I stand up and applaud) to eRDPML, deleted eRDP

Is that to say that when I do my AOW this summer (that's the plan, anyway) that there's going to be an eRDPml in the crew pack or that I'll be expected to buy one because my eRDP won't be good enough anymore even if multilevel is NOT one of the dives my LDS does during the course?

Is that to say that when I do my AOW this summer (that's the plan, anyway) that there's going to be an eRDPml in the crew pack or that I'll be expected to buy one because my eRDP won't be good enough anymore even if multilevel is NOT one of the dives my LDS does during the course?

check with your shop/instructor - my guess is, you won't have to bother with it at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom