Turks and Caicos - Aggressor II or Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are interested in trying a liveaboard for the first time this summer. Our destination of interest is the Turks and Caicos. Has anyone been on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor II or the Explorer II? If so, I would appreciate any feedback or opinions that you would like to share. Please let me know about your experience, what time of year you went and other things such as diving, service, food, accommodations, etc. If you have any photos of these liveaboards to share - that would be great!:D

Last edited:
We were on the T&C Explorer II for Christmas week and had a great time - I posted a trip report and there are other trip reports of both boats here on Scubaboard.

The Agressor Boat parked near us and I could see that it was smaller. This was my third trip with an Explorer boat and we've never been disappointed. The food and crew were great ! I think though that late winter diving off of either boat is for the more experienced diver as the winds really make the boat swing back and forth and there are a bit of rougher seas. On the other hand a trip during the other than winter months this may not be a problem.

Our room on the T&C Exp II was fantastic. Since it was Christmas we splurged and booked the larger top deck room. Very roomy.

I'm still working on the video. Oh of interest - we did see reef sharks every dive.

NAIBDiver1

We are interested in trying a liveaboard for the first time this summer. Our destination of interest is the Turks and Caicos. Has anyone been on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor II or the Explorer II? If so, I would appreciate any feedback or opinions that you would like to share. Please let me know about your experience, what time of year you went and other things such as diving, service, food, accommodations, etc. If you have any photos of these liveaboards to share - that would be great!:D

this trip report was posted on another board last year:
Saudio's Trip Reports
NOT my report, just one that I really liked and has made me interested in going there. Lots of pictures for you, too.

robin

I "snuck" (thanks Scubaboard) onto the T&C Aggressor in September for my first live-aboard. It was awesome- that is the crew, boat, schedule, dives, food, everything.
I had hoped to do a report, but that doesn't seem to be happening...
Since it will be your first, and it was mine, I can offer 2 tips;
1. Make sure your equipment is very "comfortable", because it's non-stop diving. I added a comfort swivel hose to my Atomic reg, and I was very thankful. I thought my full-foot fins would be good like always. By day 2 or 3 I had duct tape on both feet to cover the worn spots. I think eveyrone else (no newbies) had open-heels & boots.
2. If you aren't Nitrox cert, plan to do it on board. You can do the course while diving Nitrox after the first dive. My air computer was locked-out by day 2 doing 5 long dives/day. They loaned me a Nitrox computer for the week with the class. I got my money's worth and did all 27 dives.
Have fun!

Sounds like there isn't a bad choice here.

i did T&C Aggressor in Sept 07. Fantastic food, diving, crew etc.

i guess a lot depends upon the crew - which change over time. The team we had were great. My computer broke on day 2. there were no spares on board, so one of the crew loaned me her own for the rest of the week.

Only reservation about the Aggressor would be the room. i booked late, so ended up in the 'quad'. Its tiny for 4 people. i was lucky. There were only 3 of us & my companions were both tidy & thoughtful. with the wrong room mates - this cabin would have been a real minus.

john

this trip report was posted on another board last year:
Saudio's Trip Reports
NOT my report, just one that I really liked and has made me interested in going there. Lots of pictures for you, too.

robin

Great trip Report - awesome photos! I was wondering if there was a shaded area on the top deck, so the pictures were helpful. We have a VIP room reserved until Monday on the Explorer. I hope to get something finalized this weekend.

Thank you for the input and links to the trip reports. I decided to go with the Explorer, since they both seem to get good reviews from liveaboard type people. We will be traveling with another couple and the Explorer has two VIP rooms available the week we would prefer to go. The Aggressor has the Deluxe room available which appears to be a little smaller cabin and more expensive.

Does anyone have additional tips for a first time liveaboarder?

We are planning to stay at Grace Bay at Sibonne for 3 nights after the liveaboard. Anything that we must do on land or other recommendations?

SM,
1. Clothing pack light, you don't need a lot of clothes. Bring a couple tees and shorts, light jacket. Shoes not really needed as you will be barefoot all week. Bring three bathing suits, gives others time to dry. I hate putting on a wet bathing suit. Check average water temp for that time of year. I always bring a 3 mil and extra skins to layer. I am not a "hood" diver but if you have one bring it. About day 2 you will start getting chilled on the afternoon and night dives as the repetitive diving saps your body core temp. Bring a good save a dive kit, computer batteries, extra mask, extra computer if you have one, regulator hose, inflator and hose fin straps. As a group just spread it out amongst you. If you bring a camera bring a electrical strip for charging, plug yours into the boats strip so that you are not hogging all the outlets, orings, silicone, extra batteries.
Safety equipment SMB, mirror,Dive Alert, jon line. I'm anal and don't like the thought of being a "tea bag" seeping in the sea so I bring a Marine band radio with built in GPS in a McMurdo dive canister. And most important, leave work and home at home, enjoy the week!

Back
Top Bottom