Help with PNG diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solomon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just starting to research a possible trip to this area and have discovered that it is varied with different types of diving depending on the location. Which itinerary (live aboard) would you suggest if want to dive nice reefs but also want some pelagic action? In other words a mixture of the two. The Eastern Fields looks interesting but was wondering what some of you who have dived in PNG thought. Thanks in advance.

Hi there Solomon

My Wife and I have returned from two weeks up in PNG we did Madang staying at Jais Aben, then over to Kavieng staying at Lissenung Island.

We went through Diversionoz.com they came in over $500 cheaper than the other two big Agents in Australia. Everything was super easy in dealing with them; from the time I first made contact, to the post card waiting in our letterbox from them when we got home.

The trip itself was magic both resorts had some of the best diving we have ever had in the South Pacific, the food, service and accommodation where excellent, I can’t give these two operators enough praise for there respective dive operations.

Madang is stunning coral and some very tasty wrecks, Kavieng is Big fish capital we had Mantas, Massive Schools of Barra and GT’s one dive I counted 25 Reef Sharks cruising the walls.

If you need any further information on the area drop me a line I did heapsof research before we left. All the best Chris

This is really directed to Chris.
I am also starting to think about a trip to PNG and would appreciate sharing more of your information about it. Are there some web sites that you found to be particularly informative?
It's a long way from the USA and I need to convince my husband that the extra travel time (as compared with Fiji from which we have just returned) is worth it.
Thanks for any help.

annw24 once bubbled...
This is really directed to Chris.
I am also starting to think about a trip to PNG and would appreciate sharing more of your information about it. Are there some web sites that you found to be particularly informative?
It's a long way from the USA and I need to convince my husband that the extra travel time (as compared with Fiji from which we have just returned) is worth it.
Thanks for any help.

HI annw24
The site I use for everything PNG is
http://www.diversion.com

Walindi is not a bad resort but it is about an hour boat ride out to the Dive Sites, great muck diving. Lissenung Island and Jais Aben are 15 - 20 mins boat ride from the best reefs and wrecks.

PNG diving is very different from Fiji.
Much better coral no bleaching, loads of wrecks and very off the beaten path in all respects, Fiji is far more up market then PNG.

But having done both on serveral occasions, I would pass up Fiji for PNG for any trip

IMHO the extra travel is well worth the experince of PNG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom